How can I get my 6 year old daughter to stop sucking her thumb?

She has meen doing this since she was born and I have tryed everything I know what to do.

Des09

Asked by Des09 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• thumbguards? They go over the thumbs so they can't suck them.

Mittens?

I've heard of hot sauce but don't know if I'd do that.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried the finger nail polish that is suppose to taste icky? My sister is doing it right now for her 2 year old. Good Luck, i was lucky to have a non-thumb sucker. I actually got yelled at by my MIL or pulling her thumb out when she was an infant, now I am glad I did. She has a 14 year old and 28 year old aunt that still do!
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 10:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I've been trying forever with my 4 year old too, thankfully she only does it now while she sleeps, it actually got to the point before that her thumb nail started turning yellow and disgusting and it basically fell off, that scared her so since then she only sucks her thumb at nite, I bet she doesn't even realize she's doing it. Her nail is fine now, thank God.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I would put something spicy on it, or the nail polish both I've heard work.
    mommatabby

Answer by mommatabby at 10:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I am on the same boat.MY 6yrs is same way.We've tried everything.Thumbgurard,sauces,nail polish i mean everything.Let me know if you find a solution.By the way thumbguuards are waste of money.
    kiran595

Answer by kiran595 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Let me know if you find out. My daughter is 10 and still sucks hers - but only at night. She pushed her palatte out, and will need major orthodontal work done soon. You can opt to have her fitted with a guard that makes it uncomfortable for her to suck her thumb, but it's kind of pricey. Our dentist said she will eventually outgrow it.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• You ignore it. If she is doing it, she needs it. Talking about it just makes her want to do it more. Three pedis and two dentist have now told us to just ignore our 5yr old DS. Not to worry until he loses his first tooth, if by then he hasn't stopped we will put a guard in.
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Ok, I just went through this with my 4 yr old, we tried EVERYTHING, Or so i thought. I found this stuff Mavala stop...its a nailpolish that tastes awful. Within 2 days she was done sucking her thumb. And she was an addict to that thing, we tried gloves, tabasco, bitter orange,we even went so far as to tape her thumb down...but nothing worked. The nailpolish is inexpensive around 10 dollars, i got mine on amazon. I highly recommend it. It tastes AWFUL and doesnt come off even after scrubbing and picking at it. I reapply every 2 days to keep it up but seriously try it!
    LenaMommyof3

Answer by LenaMommyof3 at 5:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Threaten to cut it off? LOL Just kidding I wish I knew. I replaced my kids thumb sucking very early on with a binky. Binkies are easy to throw away, you cant take the kids thumb away tho..... Sorry Im probly no help!
    WhiteTigerLily

Answer by WhiteTigerLily at 5:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I sucked my thumb when I was little. To get me to stop my mom put mustard on both my thumbs. I hated mustard so I wouldn't suck it off. Good luck and hope you find something that works.
    HeidisMom800

Answer by HeidisMom800 at 7:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2011