My 2 month old keeps getting a lot of eye discharge on his right eye...

I think I clean his eye 5+ times a day but it's only on one eye, anything like this happen to any of your kids? There is no redness and it doesn't seem to be bothering him, I read that it could be under-developed tear ducts, is this true?

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a 2 month old and hers was doing that. I called her pediatrician and told the nurse what was going on and they phoned me in some eye drops. After just a few hours her eye looked much better. Gone within a day or so.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• It's probaby a tear duct that hasn''t opened yet. It will most likely be fine.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• my son is 10 months and also has that problem. i used eye drops with him for about a week and that seemed to help but when i stopped using them his eye started discharging again. i took him to an eye doctor about a month ago and he said his tear duct was "clogged" and it wasn't draining right and he needed to have a minor surgery to fix it. he goes next week to have it done.
    kristendc33

Answer by kristendc33 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• mine had it needed the tear ducs flushed open I guess thats what you called it. its been some years since then. Talk to you doctor
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 11:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My daughter went though this, and we were constantly wiping her eye, which made is red, and it would be crusted closed each morning, which would take a couple minutes to get it all cleaned up. She ended up needing to have surgery on her tear duct. I was worried when I first heard it, but after it was complete it wasn't that bad. the process goes, in my case: The child can't eat or drink after a certain time, and then you go in the early next morning (since they can't eat or drink), she was given a gas to put her to sleep and they take a little wire and stick it into the tear duct in the eye, and the wire comes out the nose. They poke the hole open and it will bleed a little, its common, and then she is sent to the recovery room to wake up. The doctor's told me that she could be cranky after waking, since she was put to sleep, but she actually woke up in a great mood, like nothing had happened. Good luck! :)
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 11:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Oh yeah, our daughter was about 13 months old when she had the surgery done.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 12:03 AM on Apr. 4, 2011