Do you think I could get the dentist to just pull the tooth out?

I have this one tooth that has been hurting me for months. The dentist has looked at it several times and taken an xray and he insists there is nothing wrong with the tooth. If it is hurting me there is obviously something wrong with it. Do you think I could get him to just pull the tooth? Or is there some dentist ethical code that prevents him from pulling a "healthy" tooth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Health

• Start calling all of the dentists in your area. Explain your situation, being Native American, and having no choices . . . and that you are in pain. Tell them that you don't know what to do, and ask for suggestions. Every once in a while, a dentist will do pro bono, or may offer a free or low-cost option for you. Or, they may know of a dentist that can help you.

Give it a try. There are a lot of caring people in this world. Good luck.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• NEVER have a tooth pulled. I would find another Dentist ....if there is nothing wrong with the tooth KEEP IT. You will regret loosing a tooth. Replacing one with a bridge or implants is really expensive. If you end up with gaps, from missing teeth, your whole appearace will be destroyed.And it s never healthy to lose teeth.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Well, it hurts and I don't have dental insurance. I am going to the clinic for Native Americans because I am a quarter indian.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Go to a different dentist first.
    Ambear72

Answer by Ambear72 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I would suggest to go to a different doctor too. So you get a second opinion. Do you have pain all the time or only if you eat certan things?
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 11:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Have him check the surrounding teeth. they can put pressure on that tooth. Also you may want to wait. What ever you do say NO to rootcanals they are expensive, painful, and only last about 3 years, at which time you must have it pulled anyway.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I can't go to another dentist. I have no insurance.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Could it be your sinuses? Sometimes sinuses cause your teeth to hurt. Dh has awful sinuses. His doctor even told him that some people have root canals done and then it turns out to not even be their teeth. I would go to a regular doctor first and get an opinion. I also agree with minnesotanice, don't have it pulled. Keep your teeth if at all possible.
    Anonymous

• I've always been told by dentist's that they will not pull a healthy tooth.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 11:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• That sucks. I guess I will just have to stay in pain.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2011