How do i get my two year old to stop drinking a bottle?

my daughter is about to turn two in may and for months now we've been trying to get her to stop drinking the bottle but she cries for hours if she doesnt get it when she ask.. what should i do or what can i do?

salviniata23

Asked by salviniata23 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take them all throw them out pack them away up to you then get sippy cups, or straw cups and stay strong make sure she knows that is her only choice!!!
    mommatabby

Answer by mommatabby at 11:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Maybe have her help you pack them up, tell her that another baby needs them and give them to another baby.... but make sure YOU can't cave in.... make sure every last one is out of the house.
    She will cry but she will get over it
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I had a really hard time getting my eldest off the bottle, and he just got more and more attached to it. He used it until he was like about 4! Needless to say, his subsequent brothers and sisters NEVER got a bottle. Breast to sippy cups in this house!! So I sympathize, but sorry no useful advice. good luck!!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Try easing down . .. to only one at bedtime. Then, after a while, fill it with water. Your baby will not like it as much . . .

My pediatric dentist suggested this approach as a much gentler way to ease off. It was pretty painless over here.

Good luck, mom!

:)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Thow away every bottle. if it is not an option, they have to adapt.
    5FamilyTies

Answer by 5FamilyTies at 11:53 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Honestly, i tried and tried to get my DD off the bottle, since she was 18 months to 20 months. Around 20 months, she got sick, like throwing up, and she threw up all over her crib and herself, and was really upset about it. For the next couple days, she didnt want one. So we threw them away and just started giving her milk in a cup with a straw. She asked for it for about a month, and still gets a little upset when she sees another baby with one. But i just remind her that she is a big girl and she gets over it. But it was rocky for about the whole month after, but it gets better, just stick to it. Good luck.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I took all four of my kids bottles away when they turned one
    masonbunch

Answer by masonbunch at 11:58 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Take them away and don't give in. Sometimes easier said than done, but it'll work. :)
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 12:53 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• introduce them to the sippy cup either with or with out the straw and let them know that they are a big kid now and need to drink from this cup and as the others said get rid of all bottles in the house Good Luck
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:03 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Throw them out. There are cups out there, that resemble a bottle, then the nipple has 3 different ones, so you can help her get to drinking a sippy cup. I used it and it was great!
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 4, 2011