"Go to God with your problems"

A friend of mine posted this on his status today and while I love him dearly, he often complains about how Facebook is full of drama and people constantly posting their issues on facebook or whatever. I told him it had nothing to do with him so why be concerned? It is their page, their life and not everyone has faith like he does. If he doesn't like it just hide their status or delete them. Anyway, his other friend says "Facebook is nothing but drama and for those who need an ego boos". Yet...there she is on facebook right? Judging others.

My question is this: Is this a common issue some have with people who boast about their religion? What I mean is that they claim to honor and obey yet they do as others do and treat people harshly. Is this one reason why some walk away and shut down when they see people act like this?

For me, I absolutely shut down. I don't want to hear or see it anymore. To me it is calling the kettle black.

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm sorry, katcb, I don't read it the same way. I understand what you're saying about going to God in the Bible to seek comfort or advice, but what about those who don't have a faith? They go to social networks or friend groups to seek advice from people they trust. Getting a comment like, "Go to God with your problems" doesn't come across like an explanation of how he copes; it sounds like a brush-off, and kind of rude. For someone who knows nothing about God or Christianity...that's a dead-end answer, and offers no help at all. I would think that, as a Christian, he could display a little more compassion. Also, aren't Christians supposed to edify each other and behave as brothers and sisters? This is hardly demonstrative of that. Sounds like he's telling people he can't be bothered with their troubles. Just my opinion. :)
    FuzzySlippers6

Answer by FuzzySlippers6 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My question is this: Is this a common issue some have with people who boast about their religion?  So it would seem.  Jesus said that his followers should "turn the other cheek".  That a soft answer turns away an enemy's wrath.  That they should treat others the way they want to be treated.  Then they do the opposite. What I mean is that they claim to honor and obey yet they do as others do and treat people harshly. Is this one reason why some walk away and shut down when they see people act like this?  I only know that it's the reason that I do.  Hypocrisy tends to rub me the wrong way.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:56 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I really don't see what the controversy with statement is. I agree with katcb, and I think you might be reading a little too much into it.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 12:44 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• if you want him to hide/delete those statuese he doesn't like to see..can't you do the same? i really don't see a problem with what his status says-after all, its HIS. not yours.
    i see people complain about their friends drama-statuses all the time, whether they offer up faith as an answer or not. the logical, simple solution is to just hide anyone status you have a problem with. then again, if they are THAT MUCH of a problem, why 'friend' them in the first place?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:22 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I think the obvious response would be: "go to your god with your religion, not facebook"
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• As a christain we are not suppose to judge others. We are however suppose to try and spread Gods word. I dont see that staement as a judgement just their belief. Thats me though. We are told to go toGod in the bible with our problems so really their are just sharing how they cope with their problems.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 11:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• No it def came off rude. Let me put the whole statement here "go to god with your problems not facebook" it is rude to some while others do not see it that way. Fuzzy hit it right on the head. This is what I am talking about. People responded to his comment and were a bit upset because he was personally attacking them and you have to remember, these are his supposed "friends" that he has on his page! This is not some general place where he throws out his opinion. This wasn't spreading the word or giving a nice motivational quote. This was a warning to the people on his page!
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 7:34 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I agree. He should just hide them or delete them (or spend less time on FB himself) if their posts bother him. I think my friends can post what they like; it's not up to me to tell them how to use FB. If they tend to post things that get on my nerves (and a few do now and then), I'll hide them (or hide them for a while), or I just won't spend as much time on FB. Out of 253 friends, I only have 2 hidden. I only have one friend who I've considered deleting for being hateful to another friend, but there are times she's fine; I've never deleted anyone so far. He could have sent out a positive message encouraging people to do what he does when he has problems rather than putting it that way and maybe he would make people think (whether they 'go to God with their problems' or just think about whether they really need to post every little thing about their lives). Wording it that way is just going to upset people.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:21 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I can not tell who you have an issue with- the poster or his friend-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:09 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I just see it as their way of surviving. We are all humans and we all have ways of dealing with stuff.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2011