friends are not related to family

We have a family traditions.. Family only during the hoildays even Thanksgiving and Chirstmas. and Annual Thanksgiving My cousins bring thier friends which they arent related. and Disrespectful unless bf/gf. I do not talk to anybody that they are not part of the family. Year ago, My cousin x bf came to chirstmas and he is not part of the family. cousin left didnt go for chirstmas cuz of her x there. which pisses me off. that she dont want him there but her parents does. and I have a husband and a daughter and we are all part of the family. We do not bring friends or anybody for chirstmas or thanksgiving. What about you guys? family bring friends that you never met. and they show up strangers.. around your kids which they never knew. I will not allow my child near those people only my family and my husband.

rachtrin

Asked by rachtrin at 2:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in About CafeMom

• I'm a little confused... you don't talk to people who aren't your family? And you won't let your children near people who aren't family? That seems pretty extreme. I love having friends at the holidays (or anytime). The more the merrier.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Excluding family's SO's is not only rude, it's not fair. I also have lifelong friends that are closer than some family members...should I ignore them too?
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 4:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• We always have friends and extra people for Thanksgiving. The more the merrier. It's been that way as long as I remember. I've shared my family with my closest friends all my life and will continue to do so for the rest of my life. Christmas though is just for family
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 7:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• There is a BIG difference between friends of the family and friends of one family member. We just got back from our family thanksgiving and there were almost more people who were guests than actual family members and the only ones who knew them were the people who invited them along. To me that is disrespectful. That said our family gatherings are always filled with family friends that everyone knows. It does add a festive astmosphere to have a large party but not when no one knows anyone else.

Anonymous

• I am in the military, so that being said, I usually only have friends and half the time it is soldiers that either have not met or may met only once. I think if they were invited then why not, what if they have no where else to go and would be alone other wise. I would rather share the holidays.
    Also if I understood this right, your sisters ex was there and invited by her parents? That is pretty messed up by the parents, I would not be comfortable with that either.
    Anonymous

• Anon 9:55...why is inviting others along dispectful? Isn't Thanksgiving all about the people in our lives? Perhaps these people would have been alone on Thanksgiving and they were brought by people they were important to. In my book, the more the merrier...and if we take the time to get to know others, we might just find new lifelong friends...or better yet, bring some joy into someone else's life. Something to think about....not bashing...just being philosphical.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 5:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2008