Anyone have a head banger?

Ive got a 2 yr old that bangs his head on the floor out of frustration or if he is not getting is own way. How do you handle it?

NewMomAt39

Asked by NewMomAt39 at 3:02 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put a pillow under him lol, pick him up say aw don't hurt my baby and give him a kiss
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 3:05 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My friends son does this. He is constantly walking around with a huge black and blue forehead. Unfortunately, that's just part of being 2 and how he throws his tantrums. She hasn't found anything to help with it.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:07 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My son does this..... I've found no cure yet :(
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:05 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• talk to him and let him know that when he does this he is just hurting himself and you don't want to see him hurt and crying unfortunately this is part of the terrible twos

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:48 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Poor baby
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 9:10 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My son started doing this at 15 months or so. I couldn't figure out how to stop it either, so I started treating it as any other unacceptable behavior, like hitting or biting. I would make him stop, tell him we don't do that and try to redirect him into something less frustrating. If he continued by trying to punch himself in the head, I would put him in time out. It actually helped him by giving him a chance to calm down. It has pretty much stopped now. Good Luck!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• With the children that I work with head banging usually starts as an accident. For example, the child was crying and flailing around and just banged their head. Well, the commotion that it causes with adults running to comfort the child is often "picked up" by the child and they very quickly learn that this behavior gets them attention or gets them what they want. Some children will then just start to head bang. Most children don't hit their head hard enough to hurt their brain, but that's what parents are afraid of! Your best thing to do is to ignore the behavior. Kids will tap more lightly each time if it doesn't get the attention they want. If you can't allow that then you can still ignore it by putting your hand in the place that they are banging to protect their head, but while you're doing it don't say a word or even look at them (turn your head )aw. The idea here is to take away all attention. Good luck!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 11:41 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My 15 mth does the same thing, sometimes bangs his head on the floor or wall than laughs, I just walk away and he stops! SOMETIMES!
    jenn2bowman

Answer by jenn2bowman at 11:46 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I just try to ignore it but sometimes he hits himself hard enough to leave a bruise or broken skin. It seems no matter if I give him attention over it or just ignore it, he does it anyways. Thankful that it is not too often!
    NewMomAt39

Comment by NewMomAt39 (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2011