I think my nephew wants me to be his mommy =o

Ok so i have 3 boys the oldest is almost 3 and the twins are 20 months and my brother has a little boy that is 21 months old and he is on call 24/7 so my sis-in-law never has any time to herself so ive always helped her out here and there but when he was about 4 or 5 months old she was just always so tired so i would take him with me and my boyfriend (at the time) and we would go do somthing for the day. but as time moved on we would take him more and more because he just loves being with my boys and eventually we had him for the whole weekend and maybe 2 or 3 times a week. but then her mother died a few months ago and her mother and father lived in france (where shes from) and she went over there and stayed for 3 weeks but when she went she didnt want to have to drag the baby around so he stayed with us and my parents. well since her mother has been dead i think she has been depressed because she never does anything and her and my nephew lay around the house all the time so i have been taking him more and more and all she ever does is sleep. He calls me mommy but i always tell him no ashley and he can say it but he ignores me and i think he gets confused with my boys calling me mommy, so i dont really mind that but i always try to correct him. but he used to get excited when i would drop him off with her or she would pick him up but now he doesnt want to leave and he cries and wants to stay with me even when the boys are gone with their dad. and i can tell she gets upset when he does that and i dont know what to do i feel so bad for both of them i try to help her and him by taking him but i offer for her to come with us and she never wants to but its like she doesnt even care that she only sees her son 1 or 2 days out of the week and i know it would kill me.

i just have no clue what to do i think i should talk to my mom but i dont want her to get too worried about them and end up messing things up worse i just dont know any more soo confused

AshleyL1013

Asked by AshleyL1013 at 3:24 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well all kids want attention and he's getting more from you. and with ur boys, he found boys to play with. and every child prefers the more comfortable environment. keep doing what u're doing, take him when u can , kudos to u for doing this. ur a great aunt! really. dont feel guilty for him calling u mommy, if she's just lying around as you say. she should be thinking of him more and taking care of him. kids dont understand tough times for adults. my sister n laws child is 2 1/2 and always wants to call me and come over and calls me mommy and cries alot when she leaves my house. its nothing to get mad at though. its just you helping. talk to ur brother about it in private. ask him what he thinks about the situation. make it clear that ur worried about ur nephew.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 4:12 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• he is used to being with you all the time and that is why this is happening she needs to take him and be with him as much as possible and let him know that she is his mommy; like the above poster said talk to your brother in private and ask him his opinion and make it clear that you are concerned about your nephew and that is why you are talking to him about it
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:46 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• He's lucky to have you to be there for him!
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 1:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• my aunt has 1 daughter, and she has always been a great mom, when I was younger, I would go every weekend to her house play with my cousin, and id wish i could stay all week, because my mom was always streessed out or working real hard.. I used to think that I would like my aunt to be my mom. when youre a kid you just want to have fun and not worry about the adults problems. But now that I have a kid of my own, I realise how hard it was for my mom to be single with 3 kids, and I dont blame her. I love her. And i still have that exemple of "the perfect mom" my aunt gave me. I told her she is my model, i want to be a mom like her.
    The most important is that he is getting love and attention from someone, and later he will understant that you are not his mom, but will always remember the Love you gave him, and take it as an exemple. Youre doing great !
    kokomaman

Answer by kokomaman at 7:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2011