Boyfriend......

I give my boyfriend love and attention, but when i need space, or dont feel like being all over him he thinks there is somthing wrong, i feel bad when i want to do things without him... i feel like he is insecure with our relationship unless im all over him 24/7. we have talked about it and he says dont worry... im fine, im totally secure with us. but it keeps happening.. what can i do to let him no that i love him, but we dont need to be stuck together every second of every day? he seems to think we need to be touching ALL the time!

dfwhite

Asked by dfwhite at 3:42 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• He sounds like a young man who's insecure in himself. Everyone needs time to themselves. Set up a routine where you each have individual time with friends without the significant other. If he's not as outgoing as you, then go and don't make excuses. You'll be resentful if he continues this routine. Time with the girlfriends is not cause for him to feel jilted. :) Good luck!
    Droyal14u

Answer by Droyal14u at 12:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• how long have u been together?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:47 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I'd just tell him that you can't be stuck to him all the time- that it drives you nuts. lol Tell him you love him, but you need space as well. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:19 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i will guess that he does not do things without you
    maybe he needs some hobbies or guy friends

is there something you both can do together that he will hate and therefore not want to do anymore=lol
    serious, if you both take a cooking class or something and he hates, he will go a few times see that it is innocent, drop out and you can continue, maybe something like that will clam his insecureities

would take some prethought, but setting up an example that all is good and innocent may help him a bit

also some hard exercise may help him get some of his indorphins out, and makehim feel better
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:39 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• By having that space it will help your guys relationship grow. Let him know that every couple needs their own space because it could complicate your relationship. He needs to spend someime with guys while you spend time with your girlfriends. I was told that absence makes the heart grow fouder. So if you need space from time to time suggest that he hang out with the guys while you hang with the girls.
    shelle21

Answer by shelle21 at 9:16 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I'd let him know those kinds of relationships are unhealthy and do not last long.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• a year and a half...
    dfwhite

Comment by dfwhite (original poster) at 3:49 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I would move on, if I were you. This is not apt to get any better. This is probably a guy who did not get enough affection when he was a little child, and he needs that now. If you are not willing to give it and are not comfortable with his need for it, you should tell him the truth and let him go.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:21 AM on Apr. 4, 2011