Too sick for school?

Just curious, do you have any hard and fast rules on when to keep your kids home from school? Now that my kids are older, we make that decision on a case by case basis, if you will. How do you decide how sick is too sick?

lytate95

Asked by lytate95 at 6:46 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• If they would be spreading too many germs...sneezing and coughing alot. A fever is an automatic stay home. As is vomiting. Often would ask questions to be sure they just weren't looking for a day off. Knowing your kid helps know when they need the time in bed too.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 6:54 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Running a fever and vomiting are the two major components. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:06 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Rules that keep kids home:

Any fever over 100 (school rule) Any vomiting and the mandatory 24 hour rule (same with fever...24 hours of healthy) Anytime they were up all night due to symptoms and would otherwise have an unproductive day at school (why waste any body's time). Symptoms may include inability to breath or stop coughing. Anytime they're symptoms warrant a doctor visit. Keep them home and make the appointment for that day.

Go to school anyway symptoms:

Upset tummy, but no other symptoms Head ache, take some Advil. Sore throat or runny nose that's NOT junky and green (too early to keep home, wait until they're really sick) General complaints that don't amount to anything, especially "I'm tired".

Sonnut

Answer by Sonnut at 7:16 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• RIght now, it's whenever DS says he doesn't want to go. My DS LOVES school, and always is excited to go. If he actually asks to stay home, then I know he's not feeling well (like tonight, he asked to go to bed at 4pm and if he could stay home tomorrow--p.s. we are in Japan, so it's nighttime here. lol). He missed it once because DH was out of town and I and our 2 DDs were sick, so I didn't want to drag them out, and he cried all day. So, I KNOW when he asks that he is sick.

Now, when they get older, it will be a case by case thing...Because our kids like to copy each other. lol
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 7:25 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My biggest red flag is a fever.....other than that, I have to see either blood or broken bones for them to stay home, lol....
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 8:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Fever, diarrhea, and puking...or somethign obviously contagious like pink eye. Or, like the PP said, if they have been up all night. There is no way they would do anything productive on no sleep.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:33 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Sore throat, tummy pain, migrane, vomiting, high temp/temp changes from hot to cold.
    Overall look-they dont look well/pale shade of skin/other shade. Weakness/Fatigue/Flushed
    pumpkinpie778

Answer by pumpkinpie778 at 9:24 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Fever: home. Vomiting: home. Diarrhea: usually home. Colds: usually school. If anything is enough to take them to the doctor for, or even call the doctor, they stay home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• The school has guidelines for when to keep your kids home and we follow those.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:39 AM on Apr. 4, 2011