My Sister?

My sister recently went through a divorce and she is working all the time and going to school. Her children only get to see her on her days off then they have a babysitter the rest of the time how do I tell her to take it slow because she is missing half of her childrens life? Then she sometimes goes out and brags about what she did on fb and her children read this which I think they shouldnt know anything about her sex life. I want her to take better care of my nephews because they are fighting at school, with friends, and dont listen whenever they come and stay with us. What should I do?

shelle21

Asked by shelle21 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• i would tell her up front that she is missing out on her kids childhood.

I will tell you from experience though, that right after a divorce...you get a sense of freedom. You can't help but want to hang out with friends & look sexy sometimes. It feels like you just got out of jail & you want to catch up on things. I can put money on it, that she'll settle down after about a year.

Also, right now...she is probably thinking about the future & hoping she can support her & the kids on her own. If i were you, i would watch those kids sometimes. It's better that they're with their aunt sometimes, than with the baby sitter ALL the time. At least this way, they are with family.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:53 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I don't know if there is anything that you can for her. I think that she is thinking that she is thinking about the children's future,and it is her
    way to escape the pain of the divorce. She doesn't realize what she is doing to the children, and I don't know if you can help her. Just be there for her when she needs you. The boys may find a way to get her attention that will be unexpected, and not neccessarily a postive thing either.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 8:53 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I think going back to school and working are things that she is doing to be able to support her children and give them more. Once she is done with school it will be easier. It is a sacrafice she is making for them. I don't think you should come down on her for that. Maybe like the OP stated, offer to watch them for her once in a while, and maybe suggest she goes limits her fb posting for the kids sake. She may not even realize. Also where is dad in all this? Is he helping raise his kids? I think he should be watching them once in a while when she is at school, he is their parent too. It is so unfair that it always falls on the mom and when she tries to find herself again she is judged. Just support her and offer constructive advice.
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 10:48 AM on Apr. 4, 2011