Baby food question.

My baby is 8 months and no teeth yet. I don't know what to feed her . She eat a little jar'd baby food. Maybe a fruit or veggie a day other than that its mostly formula. What can I give my baby that she won't choke on.

My family is always criticizing me for not feeding her 2 or three meals a day of baby food.. I am lucky if she eats one. Is this a problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• some babies eat alot some dont.. some parents dont even start jar food til a year old. at 8 months old my guy ate like a monster but he had two teeth... even without teeth they use their gums to mash it up so just try new things and make sure its mashed up pretty good
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 8:54 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• No problem. Follow baby's cues. If she only wants one jar of food a day, that's fine. At that age, I'm not sure my daughter was eating even once a day. And you don't even have to use baby food at all. If your daughter can sit, pick up food, and feed herself, you can just give her table food. Teeth don't matter. If you can mash it between your fingers, she can mash it between her gums.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:54 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• WHen my babies turned 6 months old I would feed them... Cereal with fruit in the morning, Lunch veggie and fruit, dinner veggie and fruit, with a 6-8 oz bottle with each meal. I would keep offering it to him. If he refuses at least you offered.
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 8:55 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• They can eat a lot without teeth. The teeth used for chewing often don't come in until long after the teeth used for biting, and most babies are eating only table food by then. Try teething cookies, gerber puffs, yogurt melts, stuff that will dissolve when wet. Or maybe even stuff that is hard to gum through, like strips of pork chop, whole green beans, things she can taste and "chew" on without biting chunks off of. If she gags, be happy rather than scared. Gagging isn't choking; it's the opposite of choking. It means she has the reflex to bring things back to the front of her mouth if they get anywhere near her throat. Gagging is good.
    CDMelty

Answer by CDMelty at 8:59 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I use to boil veggies until they were soft. Any soft fruit, mine loved mandrin oranges. Does she act interested in your food at all?
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• no problem and you shouldnt be getting critisized as it is normal for your lil one not wanting to eat much at that age anyway... my lil one is 12 months old and still dont eat 3 meanls aday lol besides formular and brestmilk and food hear and there... well mash potato crushed vegies lil buscuits aww ohh and there is this thing that i brought form the shop the other day it is where you can put the food in this ting and you dont have to worry about them choking it is grate i havent used it yet but cant wait too (need to find it) but yea they can tast thoughit and everthing its grate i got it from me local shop not too sure if youd have it in your state but
    Lisa_7777

Answer by Lisa_7777 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Have you seen the "teether bags" they sell at most Wal-Marts and Babies-R-Us stores? I think Sassy makes them. it is a mesh bag that you can put chunks of soft food in, and as they mash it with their gums, some food comes through the bag...pureed so they can't choke.

My kids LOVED them. I would put bananas, blueberries, cooked veggies, etc in there and they would go nuts on that thing for a while.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:05 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• If that's what she wants, and she's taking in enough formula and gaining weight well, then keep feeding her that way - babies do not have to have 3 meals a day, the formula or breastmilk is 100% of their nutritional needs prior to a year old. If she's happy and healthy, tell them to sod off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• mashed fresh bananas, string cheese cut into small chunks, applesauce(no sugar added), sweet potatoes steamed, baby oatmeal/cereal, yogurt, cottage cheese
    Go to www.wholesomebabyfood.com my pedi recommended this website
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• You can give her jar food if you prefer, or you can do soft table food. Banana, avocado and sweet potato are great starter foods. You can puree them, fork mash, or just cut up into bite size pieces. You'll want to bake the potato, but the banana and avocado are soft enough. She doesn't need 3 meals of solids. Make sure that you always nurse/feed bottle FIRST, then offer solids, until 12 mos of age. Feed her solids on her schedule, not what your family thinks. You can give her almost anything that you're eating, as long as it's soft and small.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2011