Can your nipples leak milk while your not pregnant?

I have been on the Mirena for about a year and a half now and have recently been experiencing some pregnancy symptoms that I just chalked up as side effects of the Mirena (nauseous, mood swings, hot flashes, acne). Well earlier this morning I was getting in the shower and noticed that my breasts felt kind of sore (nothing dramatic at all) so I started massaging them a bit just to try to help loosen the muscle or something and milk came out of my nipple! I did this to my other breast to see if it would happen and a little bit of milk came out of that breast too. Can your breasts release milk when your not pregnant or should I now consider the possibility I may be pregnant? Im kind of confused on this one. I've always trusted in the Mirena until I saw that...Thanks for any help or input ladies!

landons.mama

Asked by landons.mama at 9:16 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yea they can, I knew a girl that this happened to.
    firsttimer338

Answer by firsttimer338 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Go pee on a stick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I've never been in Mirena, but I've made milk at least 3 times when I wasn't pregnant.
    it can happen for a lot of reasons.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:19 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• It can be a sign of an infection in the mammary glands. Go to a doctor if you are sure you aren't pregnant.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:33 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i personally never experienced that so i would take a hpt
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2011