I am switching my son to goats milk and he is 11 weeks old. I know there is certain vitamins I need to add to it. There is a evaporated goats milk that contains vitamin d and folic acid, do I still need to add other vitamins to it and what?

MandieLynn907

Asked by MandieLynn907 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not to bash, but have to asked his doctor about this? If you choose not to breastfeed, IMO I think Formula is best. Small children don't have the physical capacity to properly digest animal milk. Also, formula contains not only vitamins, but also Minerals and specially added nutrients to enhance brain and eye development. If you did speak to his doctor, I would think he would've told you what needed to be added, if he agreed.
    SugarAndSpiceX3

Answer by SugarAndSpiceX3 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• for your childs sake make sure to ask the doctor this question.. he's the only one who can give you the health information you need!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Cow and goats milk after 1 year. In Africa they use goat milk for infants, but it is diluted 3 to 1, also it is low in iron and b vitamins, so the baby tends to get anemic. Do you know how much iron to add? You would be better off keeping the baby on formula or breast milk. You need to seriously talk to your infants doctor before you do anything that could be so dangerous.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 3:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I agree I woud check with your babies Doc about this. it may not be the safest choice. I would think you would be lacking more than vitamins. Like DHA, minerals, the correct amount of calories a baby needs in a day. Formula is designed to meet your babies nutritional needs for the day. To be as close to breast milk as possible. Goats milk (or any other form of pure milk) may be to rich for a baby that young's belly as well. I'm not trying to make you mad or say you are wrong. I don't know why you have chosen the rout bu tI do firmly agree that your childs Ped needs to be in on this decision.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• You could do serious harm to you baby if you make the switch to goats milk with out the approval of your doctor! If you doctor recommends that you switch, he/she will also be able to tell you how to mix it so that your baby gets what he/she needs! This is NOT a third world country! We have BABY FORMULA if you can't or don't want to breastfeed! If you cant' afford formula , go apply for WIC! You are risking your babies health by switching to goats milk without a very good reason and a doctor's supervision!
    Anonymous

• Goat milk is closer to breastmilk than cow milk. They do make a goat's milk formula(that probably isn't tainted like a lot of the other formulas) but it's pretty expensive. I've seen some goat milk recipes around that I've heard are pretty good but since I breastfeed I didn't keep them. Try a quick google search, you might come up with soemthing. Be sure to check user reviews. Good luck.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I think all you mothers who answered me negatively should maybe think I have already talked to his doctor and lots of nurses and midwives about it, he has already been on 3 formulas and acid reflex medicine I know he needs extra vitamins but could not remember exactly which ones and his doctors office was closed today so I figured a mom out there might also be doing the goats milk and know which vitamins I need. Also I did not ask your opinions on what to do with my son, I just asked if you knew what vitamins I needed, I know how to be a mother it is not my first one.
    MandieLynn907

Answer by MandieLynn907 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• you go mama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• formula will always be 3rd best. Breastmilk is 1st, goats milk is second. I would give my kids DONOR BREASTMILK before touching crap in a can, (formula) Melamine, anyone????
    Anonymous

• ok heres how you can use goats milk as a formula
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032400.asp
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032401.asp

but most say just straight goats milk is unsafe
    http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bnutrition/0,,3vwx,00.html
    http://depts.washington.edu/nutrpeds/faq/general/infant.htm#goat
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2008