Have you taken Theology course? Where? Why? Where do you suggest I get some info?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Are you looking for a true Theological (have to do with religious views, ie in-depth study of your personal religion) or a seculare (an academic look at the dogmas and tenets of multiple religions) study of other faiths? There are also courses offered in the Anthropological (where they came from and how they came about) point of view and the psychological basis for religion. I have done theological, anthropological and academic religious studies and my personal favorite is anthropological (but that is a personal basis cause that is my profession). Our community has a wonderful All Faith Organization that has representatives of all the major Churches and faiths as board member's they also offer classes and introductions to member faiths, someplace like that would be a great resource to begin asking questions.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:02 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I took a world religions course at Harvard Extension program in Cambridge MA. It was a very thorough & amazing class!

Take a look at your local colleges/universities, you may be able to audit a lot of their courses. You may still have to pay a small price, but you can sit in their class & learn a thing or two. You won't get college credit obviously....but lots of people audit college courses just to learn somethng. I have done it a few times when i lived in Cambridge, near Harvard University. They have a huge selections of classes that anybody can audit.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:34 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• (quote: samurai_chica) "I took a world religions course at Harvard Extension program in Cambridge MA. It was a very thorough & amazing class! "
    -------------------------------
    Ha! I took the exact same one, about 15 years ago. I agree, it was a great class.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 11:14 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• When I was younger with the Community college. It was an audtied course. I'm taking Philosophy right now and we delve into religions a little bit but not anything in depth as far as religions themselves but rather the idea of what heaven and hell and how to define evil and that sort of thing.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• It really depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a Christian theology class, can't help, but I took a world religions class at my community college that was amazing. My teacher was baptist....and that's what I grew up. His perspective on other religions, and his knowledge was outstanding, and I can't tell you how much I learned in that class.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:33 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I took a couple elective world religion classes when I was in college. I would just check out local universities and community colleges to see what they offer, how much they cost, and whether they allow people to audit the class if you're not interested in taking it for credit. You might be able to find an online course or a class in a church or community center sometimes too. Just depends whether you're looking for a comparative religion course or something specific to a certain religion.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• you might want to seek spiritual advice from your pastor or if you dont have one you can go on line and check out the many courses they offer yes, i have taken some courses in bible college
    Savedmom2011

Answer by Savedmom2011 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I had to take one to obtain my undergraduate degree so I took mine at Liberty University. It is very one sided and says all religions besides Christianity are wrong. But it is a nice start. It gives you a truthful overview of the other religions but, like I said, the authors put their opinion in the text as well.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011