How long should kids be able to entertain themselves?

Okay, so we are a bit cooped up in the house. But I feel that my kids should be able to go and play without needing to be entertained 24-7 by me or my husband. I have a 2, 3, and 6 year old. They all play pretty well together. Especially my 2 and 3 year old.

They have there own playroom. Is it wrong of me to tell them to "go and play"?

hugginonem

Asked by hugginonem at 3:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• Nope, my little one is 3 and she plays by herself. I play with her at times, but I am not giving her constant stimulation. She is like me, in that she is sort of solitary. She will play with other kids, but even when she is doing that, she will go play by herself a few minutes and then go back and play with the others. I hope that she and her sister (when she gets here) will play well together.
    Kids shouldn't need to be "entertained" all the time. :D
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 3:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• LORD NO!! I can't stand hearing the words "I'm bored" around my house. There are so many toys and games here that these kids have to TRY to be bored! If I felt guilty every time I said "Go find something to do." I would be a nervous wreck! lol
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• We didn't tell my mother we were bored more than once. That's all it took because she would give us something to do and it usually involved cleaning something nasty. We were very good at entertaining ourselves. Perdonally I think it helps build imagination and creativity.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 7:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• thats nor wrong of you, children need to play to expand their imaginations.
    chloe_romano

Answer by chloe_romano at 8:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I tell my son to go and play. I think it is important for him to learn to entertain himself and be comfortable with being his own company. Let's face it, he is going to be with himself for a long long time. He might as well learn how entertain and like himself now. And he's only two. I have a play room set up so that there are no safety hazzards, I am not far away (usually in the kitchen cleaning up or making a meal), and I check on him often. More often than not he comes to check on me to see if I am still where I am supposed to be and then goes back to play. In reality my son wants company all the time. He tells me to sit down but doesn't expect me to actually play with him. He just wants me there. So we are working on being a little bit more comfortable playing without someone having to sit next to him every single second. Plus I would like to pee without an audiance while he is playing. That would be nice.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:39 AM on Nov. 30, 2008