Tubes in ears and draining fluid

So if a child has tubes in his ears and they are draining fluid...like running out and dripping down his ear and neck..is that normal? Is that what is supposed to happen? How do you know a child with tubes has an infection?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've never know a child who had the tubes that had fluid running down their ear and neck! Don't think that's supposed to happen but am not positive! I've just never seen that before. Call the doctor who did the surgery and check on that. As for an infection, I would think that there would be pain associated with that. I do know some kids that had their tubes fall out after surgery!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 11:34 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• That isn't normal. Tubes open up the ear canal more to allow the ear to drain properly...they should not be draining out his ear and down his neck. Sounds like he might have an infection. I'd take him in and have his ears checked.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My son's ear just did this not to long ago...it is normal and i was told that it would happen especially if a child had a runny nose. But you may call your dr just to make sure. I never took him to the dr and after a week he was back to normal from cold and ears draining.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I would call the doctor just to be safe
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011