Did I do the right thing? I feel so guilty!

Yesterday my oldest DD accidentally let one of our dogs out the front door. She quickly stepped out onto the front step and put her hand down to grab on to our dog, and out of nowhere, this stray that has been hanging around lunged forward from the sidewalk and bit her on the arm! She jumped back and ran inside and slammed the door. She wasn't bleeding, but you could see marks on her arm, so I calmly called dispatch to see if they could send out someone to get the dog or something. They ended up sending out 2 officers and, about an hour later, an animal control van. The officers first thought they may have to shoot the dog, but instead cornered it, along with my dog, at the fenceline behind our apartment. The dog was growling loudly and charged the officers several times. Animal control came FINALLY, and when they got the noose around the dog's neck, he started flipping around on the ground, growling and freaking out, and the officer had to pick him up by the tail and with the noose to get him into the van. Now, I'm feeling a bit guilty. I know it wasn't good to have around the apartments, since there are a lot of kids around here, but I still feel bad that they are probably going to put him to sleep because he bit someone :(

lovingmy4babies

Asked by lovingmy4babies at 10:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Pets

• I would have done the same. I am an animal lover and would feel guilty, but as long as you realize it was for the best, it's fine.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 11:21 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• They will put him in holding and test him to see if he has rabies or some other problem. If he's wearing a collar, they will try to find the owners. You do NOT need that kind of animal around children or other animals. You did the right thing. Please stop feeling guilty. He could just have a bad tooth. That happened to my friends cat. All of a sudden it started lunging at her and biting. Turned our to be a bad tooth. Once it was pulled, the cat went back to normal.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 10:15 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Look at the situation this way- Had the dog not bit your kid whose kid would have been biten or possibly worse? Sounds like maybe this animal got loose or was let loose from a possibly abusive home. If they put it down at least he wont have to suffer or starve on the streets.
    tlvalmom

Answer by tlvalmom at 10:16 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I work at an animal shelter and yes, you did the right thing. Do not feel guilty for calling and reporting a stray, especially an aggressive one. Standard procedure at our shelter is to quarantine for 10 days. If the animal shows no more sign of aggression, and doesn't show any symptoms of rabies, it's usually put on the floor and goes up for adoption. If they can, they will find the owner, and return the dog to them. I hope you told the cops that the dog bit your child, so they could relay that info to the shelter. The owner, if found, needs to be aware that the dog has bitten someone, as well.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:19 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• This dog is very dangerous and aggresive. He or she shouldnt be out and about in the neighborhood. Your dd could have been hurt so much worse. I had a flesh wound from a dog bite and it still got infected. Please keep an eye on the actual bite on her arm and take her in to the dr to be looked at.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:20 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• u did the right thing, I am a animal lover but if it is my kid or the dog I chose my kids!
    jenn2bowman

Answer by jenn2bowman at 11:24 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I told the police officers, as well as Animal Control, and they had to file a report on it. The bite didn't even break the skin on her arm, thank God, but 2 hours later there was still red spots where the teeth had made contact, and a scratch-line where she had jerked back. The guy from animal control said it looked fine, and I also called into her doc. They told me that as long as the skin wasn't broken she was ok. I have been bitten before too, and my first thought as she was cradling her arm and telling me that the dog bit her was that she was going to be hurting soooo bad in a little while. I'm so thankful that it didn't do worse. Scared the crap out of her AND me, and DH was so upset.
    lovingmy4babies

Comment by lovingmy4babies (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Thanks for making me feel a little better about it, ladies. My neighbors, for once, agree with me about this one. They were jumping in, telling the officers that they didn't want a dog around if it was going to snap at and bite kids, and telling them how my DD is very sweet and has never done anything to the dog, etc. One lady that had been feeding it since it's been here even said that if it bit her, it needed to go. I know I did the right thing- I wouldn't want it to bite someone else, especially one of the smaller kids in the complex, and whatever happens it for the better.
    lovingmy4babies

Comment by lovingmy4babies (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I think you did the right thing, it was the responsible thing to do for everyone.

Heck, I had to call the police on my SISTER when she attacked me a while back, mainly because I didn't want her doing it to anyone else, particularly since she's entrusted with other people's children!

I hope you daughter's ok
    you did the right thing.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 4, 2011