Why do you think more anti-abortionists don't put their money where their mouths are?

What distinguished Falwell from other anti-reproductive rights clergy was how he and his church put their money where his mouth was. For a time in the 1980s, any woman anywhere who was considering the termination of a pregnancy had an open invitation to come to Thomas Road Church -- travel expenses paid -- and live with one of the families of the church at no cost to her.

She could attend school if she was of that age, be afforded prenatal care and aided in the legal matter of giving up her child for adoption. When the woman's post-natal care was completed, she was given transportation home.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs008/1101380377741/archive/1102228092983.html

This if an excerpt from my friend and former priests weekly essay. His name is Harry T. Cook.

(This particular essay is not yet available in the archives but i'd be happy to PM it to anyone interested. It has an interesting twist at the end).

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 10:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'd be curious to find out what happens if she decides that she doesn't want to put her baby up for adoption?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:11 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Good question. I'll try and find out.
    UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I met Mr Fallwell when my neighbor installed the gym in his school. It was years ago. I've never been a big fan. I have never heard this story though. If they continue the support even if a girl wants to keep her baby, I'm all for the program
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:17 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• He was just practicing what he preached, he and his whole congregation. That is an awesome story, showing there are in fact many alternatives to abortion.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• adnlim...

Here is the response i got:

I think the support ended with her post-natal care. I don't know of any cases where, once the baby was born, that the mother in questions changed her mind, and what may in such a case have ensued. The program no longer exists, but I know people at Thomas Road and will try to find out an answer to your question.

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• hmmm...because they are already paying taxes (ok, call them government grants or subsidies, if you want) that fund pro-abortion entities/etc, or pregnancy-medicaid and its various 'sisters' of welfare/PA..?? maybe that's where there money is going, by law?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:00 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

Answer by cbk_mom3

I agree. Although I am 100% pro-choice I am quite bummed to learn that the program no longer exists. What an excellent way to serve your community.

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• *their*
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:01 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

Answer by dullscissors

That's a total cop-out. We've already learned on P&CE that conservatives donate more money than progressives. Besides, opening up your home to someone doesn't cost a whole lot, especially if your church is footing the bill. There are more effective ways to support unborn children than putting some usless bumper sticker on your car...people just choose not to make the sacrifice. 

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• so, you're speaking on behalf of all anti-abortionists? how do you come by this evidence of their selfishness?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:09 AM on Apr. 4, 2011