Spoiling...

I know that you can't spoil a baby. Our daughter is almost 6 weeks old, and while I don't pick her up at every single whimper, I do pick her up when she full out cries. I also fall asleep with her after nursing sometimes (I can't help it!) and we had decided to let her sleep in a bassinette. I'm trying my best to stay awake, but it's really hard when she's so warm and content, and of course it's the middle of the night. My DH is convinced that I'm spoiling her. I tell him over and over you can't spoil a baby this young, and no matter what I get him to read, he won't believe me. Any advice on how I can get this through his head?

lissa_is_preggo

Asked by lissa_is_preggo at 3:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let him breastfeed!!! LOL. I know that's not physically possible, but I started feeding my daughter on the bed sitting up in my spouse's arms. 9 out of 10 times, he was asleep before me and our daughter. It's a very soothing experience, and falling asleep is perfectly normal and not harmful as long as your baby's safe from falling/smothering. With a baby that young, you usually have to pick her up and try a variety of things to figure out what's wrong with her. We did try our best to let our daughter fall asleep on her own in her own crib as often as possible, and she slept in her crib for naps and overnight, but it didn't happen that way every single time. Also, if we took care of all her needs and she was still crying, sometimes we just had to let her scream it out.
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 6:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• You may not be able to convince him of your point of view. Although it may be helpful for him to hear this from an objective 3rd party, like a doctor or a well respected therapist. Is he willing to agree to disagree, and to follow your lead even though it's not what he would choose? You also might try telling him that it is hard enough to feel like a good mom without having your spouse criticize you.
    Anonymous

• don't worry what he thinks... this is your precious child and all your doing is spoiling her with LOVE. thats exactly what babies need.. heck my 8 month old is laying with me right now sleeping.. this is how he takes naps and i would not change it for anything its an amazing bond!!!! my hubby doesn't like me doing it... (until its his turn to nap with him then he wakes up telling me wow i just loved that) hahaha =)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• You are not spoiling her, and you should pick her up at the slightest whimper, and not wait for her to start bawling. It is fine is you want to bring her in your bed to nurse and fall asleep with her there. There is a reason why it feels good to just drift off to sleep with baby nursing in bed with you, that is what humans were designed to do!
    I don't know what to say if you have already showed your DH info on this and he still doesn't believe :(
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I nurse my son to sleep every night, and he sleeps great!!! If it works, and you and your child are comfortable with it, why not?? You are right, you CANNOT spoil a baby when they are young.
    They need that attention now. Try showing you husband the Baby Baby Book by Dr.Sears. He's a renouned pediatrician and advocates alot of AP methods.
    odinsmom19

Answer by odinsmom19 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2008