Deeaniel James or "DeeJ"?

We are adopting our son right after his birth in Sept and he is of African American decent. We wanted a name that had the "feel" of his heritage, yet also had strong ties to me and my spouse as well as had a Biblical connection. My spouse's middle name is "Dee" and mine is "Danielle" from the male form "Daniel".

So, out of both our names I came up with "Deeaniel" pronounced just like it looks "Dee" with the long e sound. We picked James for his middle name. This would also allow us to give him a nick name of "DeeJ"; a familiar one, but nontraditional spelling.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Baby Names

• Honestly? Okay, I am going to assume you want sincere feedback and I hope it doesn't hurt your feelings. While I can appreciate the thought and the meaning behind the name, I think it's kind of awful. Nobody's going to know how to pronounce it or spell it, and it sort of looks like maybe his parents just didn't know how to spell "Daniel".
    Again, I hope that doesn't hurt you, I just wanted to give you honest feedback, but it's strictly my own personal opinion. Good luck.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:28 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Sorry but Deeaniel sounds too feminine - Anything with "Dee" just doesn't feel like a boy to me - now DJ is fine but the "Dee" is too cutesy. How bout - Daniel DeJames? Remember kids are cruel - I'm just going through all the names they would turn Deeaniel into - Deanimal....you get the picture. Not picking - just honest opinion.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I have to agree with PP, to me Dee is very feminine and not something that I would be pick for a boy's name. I think it's great that you want to have your son's name reflect you, your husband and his heritage, but I don't think that is the right name. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:50 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i sounds too femanine imo. i would go.. daniel..
    oh and it has NO african sound to it or his heritage AT all!!!!
    names that are african that start with d:
    Dalmar
    Daniachew
    Dakarai
    Dahnay
    Dino
    Donkor
    Dulani

personally Dahnay would be your closest.. sounds like danny, a form of daniel. from the bible.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:54 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• sorry but if you want to do it right, do it RIGHT, dont say it sounds african because its a little out there, IMO its more insulting to assume that.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:55 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I dont care for Deeaniel because it looks like an accident, like the E on your keyboard got stuck.
    I would just go with Daniel James and use the nn DeeJ.
    coolassmom87

Answer by coolassmom87 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I appreciate what you are trying to do by tying your names into an ethnic name for the baby, but I don't think you have found it yet. Dee is definitely a feminine name and Deeanial does come across as a typing error.

I think Daniel James is very nice too.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I'm sorry, but Deeaniel is just awful. Daniel James is very nice and you could always use the name nickname D.J./DeeJ.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 2:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Honestly, I think it's terrible! Deeaniel looks and sounds made up (because it is) and really has a feminine sound to it.
    DeeJ looks silly! Can you honestly picture your child 50 years from now as an adult with the name DeeJ!?

What about something like...
    Brodee Daniel
    Zebedee "Zeb" Daniel
    Deegan Daniel

Names with "DAN" in them
    Aidan Dee
    Braydan Dee
    Dante Dee
    Rhordan Dee

Or maybe a name that uses both.... (Dee (backwards) + Dan)
    Leedan James - usually spelled Leedon... it means "I will judge" and is Hebrew
    Eedan James - this is similar to Aidan or Eden
    Keedan James - this on is a variation on Kaedan
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I have to agree with everyone else that Deeaniel looks silly and sounds silly. Why not just stick with Daniel James? I have an Aunt Dee, so anything with "Dee" in it I always assume as feminine. And why not do just D.J. as a nickname? DeeJ looks like it's pronounce deej and not dee-jay.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011