Another flower question...

So I recieved what are apparently gerber daisies (I know this thanks to you ladies!) the other day. They are still in a plain pot wrapped in paper.

I'd like to put them in a nicer pot, I think.

How do I go about doing this? I've also read that I should have a pot with holes in the bottom. So should I get one of those with a little tray underneath?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Fill the bottom to one inch with rough gravel (for proper drainage, fill 1/3 of the way with potting soil, transplant flower and fill with soil, water well.

Yes, you need a pot with a hole/holes in the bottom for drainage (so you do not get root rot).

A tray underneath protects whatever the pot is sitting on- I thing it is always a good idea if you are going to have the plant inside.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:59 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I agree with PP.

Also, when the new pot is done, the top of the soil should be about an inch below the top of the pot; so when you water it, the water doesn't overflow the pot. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 11:08 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• You should use a pot with holes and you can put gravel in the bottom to help with drainage and a tray to put it on top of. However, once you water the plant and it drains into the tray, you should dump it. It is not good for the plant to sit in water. I actually killed two of my plants by doing this.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• agree with pps
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Yes, what the first reply says sounds right to me. Gerber daisies are my favorite!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:35 AM on Apr. 5, 2011