How do you feel about de clawing cats?

I feel it is inhumane, but what are your opinions on the matter?

KateShesGreat3

Asked by KateShesGreat3 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Pets

• I agree with you. If done while they're kittens, I feel it's about the equivalent of a circumcision. You are removing a portion of tissue (with declawing, you are actually removing past the first knuckle on their paw....) but the kitten/baby is so young they won't remember the pain afterwards.

With cats, it's totally inhumane. They will feel that pain, and it will last a long time because adults take longer to heal.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:18 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Inhumane and not necessary. Clip your cats nails, use soft claws, train cat to stay off furniture. YES a cat can be trained!
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:19 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• very true. adult cats have a MUCH harder time healing. It should if at all possible be done earlier rather than later.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:20 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I am only for it when it is done my laser. It causes virtually no pain, and the only recovery time is the span it takes for the drugs to wear off. My parents used to declaw all of our cats and many of them had pain or phantom pain for years afterward. My most recent cat I had found a vet that suggested doing it by laser and told me all of the benefits. My Cat has no problems and she was her usual self the day after.

If it needs to be done- do it by laser. Otherwise leave the poor putties alone.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:20 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I've never done it and have had 4 cats. I worry about them getting loose and not being able to defend themselves or survive w/out claws. There are times, like when my cat jumps up on my lap and scratches the crap out of me, w/out meaning to, that I think it would be nice not to have to worry about it. But I'd prob. never do it. My dd is 9 mo. and she scratches the crap out of me as well w/ her tiny baby dagers, but I wouldn't get her declawed either ..... lol.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 11:20 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i think its not good for cats i worked with cats and i would only do it if it was medical resons
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 11:22 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I feel it is better to have an alive declawed cat than a dead cat that was sent to a shelter for tearing up furniture... I don;t think it is the 'best' choice but sometimes it is the lesser of two evils.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:17 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I think it depends. I personally an not a fan. We declined to have our cat de-clawed, but my parents did on there's.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:19 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• If it's an outdoor cat it's cruel cause they can't defend themselves, but a strictly indoor cat it's fine. There's not danger for them or your furniture.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:20 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I agree you can totally train a cat! I also feel like most people do not or are not willing o do so. They would rather have a 'quick fix' so off to the shelter they go where they will be euthanized upon arrival (at lease here, all abandoned animals are euthanized right then there is just no room) SO again, it is really better in those cases for the cat to be alive and in a home than dead.

Declawed cats should NEVER be put outside! I agree with that!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:23 AM on Apr. 4, 2011