Am I overreacting or was this doctor rude?

My son has had a cough forever, I just thought it was a kid/seasonal thing. But now he's showing signs of some major pain when he swallows. This morning I called the on-call doctor to try and help me figure out if I needed to bring him in to be seen or just treat at home. My kids don't get sick very often. The only reason I was considering bringing him in is because we recently had strep throat go through the house.

So the doctor calls me back and says: I need you to call the clinic in half an hour when they open. I'm in the middle of delivering a baby and can't talk to you.

EXCUSE ME???!?

I'm a Momma Bear. You threaten my kids in any way and I'll rip you to pieces. Seven yeas ago when my son was a baby I had a six foot man, trained in multiple martial arts, and NOT a small guy, backing away from me because he threatened to wake my son up by poking/shaking him. I'm five-six and was about 170 lbs at the time.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 11:21 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I know you probably felt put-off . . . . :( I think that the doctor was just prioritizing. He probably could have said. You need to call the clinic in 30 minutes to make an appt to come in and be seen . . . he was just in a hurry, so it came out more bluntly.

I don't think he was being rude. Hugs.

I would defintely take your baby in. We had strep run through our house a month ago, and, eventually, it got all of us, so it is very likely that your baby needs antibiotics.

I hope all of the responses are not too upsetting . . . .they are just giving some reality-checking . . . we all are in need every once in a while, especialy me!

Hugs mama, and I hope your baby feels better soon!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:33 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I'm in the middle of delivering a baby

Yeah, baby about to be born trumps your kid's cough. I side with the doctor, sorry.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• You are overreacting major.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• The Dr answered you in the manner he should have. He was busy. The problems your child have could wait 30 minutes. You don't know what kind of problems the Dr was having with the mother or baby.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:26 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Delivering a baby?? Is your pediatrician an OB as well?? Your kid has a sore throat, all the doctor wanted you to do was wait 30 minutes to call the clinic... how was that threatening your child?? You seem to have an anger management problem, not a momma bear complex... get yourself some help.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:31 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• You are overreacting. He was in the middle of delivering a baby. You can simply schedule an appointment for your son. There was no fowl play here. Calm down!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:25 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I'm siding with your doctor. So what? You're a "mama bear". What about the mother who was GIVING BIRTH? Do you really think that a cough is more of an emergency than a woman giving birth? He didn't threaten your kids. You're the only one trying to be threatening. I think you're WAY over-reacting.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:27 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I never ask this, but is this a made up post?

The doctor was letting you know what needed to be done since he wasn't able to talk to you right then. How would this be threatening anyone?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I think you are definitely over reacting. I see the doctors point. If he thought your child had a life threatening problem he would have suggested the ER. Even you admit you dont know if hes even sick enough to take into the office.

Answer by gemgem at 11:32 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I don't think he was being rude, he just wanted you to wait half an hour and then call back. I agree with Anon ^.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:25 AM on Apr. 4, 2011