How do you find out where you are on the section 8 list to get a place?

My sister is on the waiting list and has a disabled daughter and two other children. She is getting a little child support from her ex-husband and gets all her food with food stamps. She is currently living rent- free with our parents and is supposed to be paying what she can to help towards their bills (which have increased a LOT since she moved in). She hasn't paid them a dime, and they are both having work problems and aren't making as much as they were when they told her she could move in. They didn't want to see their grandchildren in a homeless shelter, which was my sisters only other option. She has lived there over 9 months now without giving them even 20$ towards the extra heating costs, tripled water bill, or quadrupled electric bill.

She has told my parents that you can only find out where you are on the list ONCE A YEAR, and I for one do not believe her. I think she likes not having to be responsible for any house hold bills and is going to milk it for all its worth, even though it is killing our parents financially and mentally ( her kids are wild and loud and are NEVER disceplined).
She told them when she moved in that she can find our where she is on the list in April, but it will be four or five years before she can move on. My parents were ready to sell the house before she moved in, it was too big for them and they couldn't afford to heat it, but now they are stuck with it for another 5 years......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• I'd just call and ask myself.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:29 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Well I do know the list for sec 8 is probably a looooooooooooong wait. I applied nearly 3 years ago, and still have heard NOTHING! She CAN however call her benefits workers and ask where she's at on the list.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Just calling would be my guess.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Where I'm from you can't check. When you sign up they told you how long approx the wait time is and if you haven't heard anything back in that amount of time to check in with your worker and figure out why you haven't been placed yet. If you don't believe her you can always look at the FAQs on their website or at their office. She doesn't have to let them live there, though.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 11:31 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Can't you call yourself and ask?
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2011