Should I take DD to the ER?

My 15 yr old daughter spent a lot of time in the sun yesterday (we live in Florida) and now has a bad sunburn.

Just now we noticed that she has and is developing very small blisters on the tops and back of her shoulders.

She seems fine and is acting normally, although her sunburn does bother her and hurts.

What should I do to treat this and should I take her to the ER for this?

Thanks for any thoughts / advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

• ER isn't necessary unless it looks like its getting infected. Just cool compresses and skin healthy oils.

I missed my high school graduation because I had such severe sun burn I couldn't wear the gown. It sucks- but blistering is the skins healthy response to that much sun exposure.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:30 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• ER, no. But get her in to see her regular doctor soon.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:32 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• No, that's just a 2nd degree burn. If she was feeling nauseous or ill, that would indicate sun poisoning, but you said she feels fine.

Keep her hydrated and put some aloe lotion on the burn. The skin will probably start peeling in a few days.

I'm very fair and have had countless sunburns as a kid.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:32 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I would just pop into her pediatrician or your primary care and have them take a look. They can then assess it and prescribe something to help it heal.

Good luck!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:35 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Aloe Vera or cool water-soaked towels. Skin needs rehydration. Do NOT put vinegar on a sunburn with blisters.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:35 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Aloe Vera Gel works wonders.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:41 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I agree with the Aloe vera gel. Also, if you're worried, you can always call her pedi and ask what they think. Hope she feels better soon!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Do you have an aloe plant? Squeeze aloe gel on the burn, and make sure that she drinks lots of water

Answer by rkoloms at 8:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2011