Will Nuclear Power Plants be replaced by Solar Power Plants in The USA?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• A more viable option than solar for northern climes is wind power which is being developed very extensively in Northern Europe now especially offshore in coastal areas . However , decisions about nuclear power will have to be made soon as some of the US nuclear plants are coming to the end of their lives and will have to be replaced or alternative energy sources developed . The advantage of nuclear power is that it is cheap to generate .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Right now I have a choice. I choose solar.

What annoys me is that EVERYONE has the same choice. No one HAS to use the power supplied by the local electric/gas/oil companies. If you don't LIKE where your electric supply comes from, buy your own. If you want something different and "can't" make use of solar because you live on the 18th floor in a 36 story building, MOVE. It's a choice.

In my opinion, if you rail against any of the conventional methods and state that you prefer something different, you are either a hypocrite or just being PC (blech). People HAVE choices, but most would rather gripe instead of taking the actual steps to make a difference.

We took that step and I'd rather live in a shack in some 3rd world country than be forced to accept only the choices the gubmint gives me ... which is WHY I advocate being sustainable. That starts with individuals. Either you do what it takes, or you take what you get.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I sure hope so.. I'd much rather have solar plants than nuclear ones!
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 11:52 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• No. :( A lot of very wealthy people have invested in Nuclear Power. These people also contribute a ton of money to political figures. It won't go anywhere, because money is more important than safety in the US.

Sadly.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:53 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• They should be. How many more nuclear disasters will it take for this change to start to happen?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:54 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• There are a great many things that individuals can do to drastically lower the amount of electricity they use. For starters, get rid of all of those counter top appliances. Stick with one or two that you actually use all the time. Get an on-demand water heater ~ your electric bill will likely drop by half (ours did). Use solar grabbers to supplement heat (even in the north). Cauld and seal all those little gaps around the house. Part of being sustainable means lowering your usage/footprint. The general American trend is to buy. Everything. But that isn't sustainable. It isn't even smart. It definitely doesn't make most people happy.

If you do all these things, solar suddenly becomes very doable for the average home. The thing is, you have to actually make those changes ~ waiting around on the gubmint is not going to change a thing.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I know, guys. It is really sad.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:57 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I wish we would to go to solar or even wind energy, but sadly, I agree with ImaginationMama, the fat cats have invested in nuclear so it probably won't go anywhere.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:59 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• yeah...they just built a nice new huge one not far from Atlanta...yay...

Of course they should be solar power. But, it will take decades or longer (unfortunately) for anyone to actually put effort into making that happen.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• It would be awesome if the US made greater strides towards solar and wind farms as replacements to nuclear. There are some pessimists out there that believe there is no way that these options could ever meet the needs of the US. My DH is one. But how will we know unless we pursue the options? I don't know very much about solar power but i believe in it.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011