How can I save money on my grocery bill?

We shop at Aldi and the Dollar Store now, but are there any hints you can give me to save a little extra? Thanks!

KateShesGreat3

Asked by KateShesGreat3 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• Premiering on Wednesday night on TLC (i think) Extreme Couponing. You could get lots of great ways to save money by watching this show. I'm tuning in, I'm taking notes and I'm hoping it makes a difference in my food budget.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Shop sales. Use coupons. Pair coupons with sales. Buy generic if you like it (some are not comparable, it's personal preference). Shop when you aren't hungry. Write a list and stick to it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I'm still trying to figure it out myself. I spend about $170 on groceries a week for 3 people. Now, my DD is vegetarian so she eats totally different from DH & I...that definitely raises the cost. All that vegetarian stuff she likes i really expensive. I try coupons, but i can't keep up with them.

I try to think super simple...but i really like to cook. That screws me up....ingredients for all the things i like to make sure does add up quickly...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Make a menu for the week. Make a list and stick to it. Make salads for each dinner, then you eat less of the main dish. I prefer fresh spinach to lettuce. A big package of smoked sausage or Polish sausage isn't expensive if you portion it out to meals. I wrap each one in Saran wrap, freeze, then put in a baggie. I do the same for chicken breasts or thighs. Try to buy ground beef, pork chops or roasts in the big package, separate into meal portions, place in baggies and freeze. If you don't finish portions of veggies for a few days, stir-fry a couple of breasts and add the veggies. Or you can make soup out of leftovers from the week. Pasta, meat, veggies, add a little V8 for flavor.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2011