Need sleep....plz help

ok so my daughters are 5 yrs 2 yrs and 5 weeks. recently my 2 and 5 yr old started sharing a room and i am having a heck of a time getting them to go to bed but also to stay in there beds through the entire night without coming into bed with hubby and me. i have a newborn so im getting little sleep as it is but with the 2 of them not sleeping well its making me miserable. any suggestions on how to get them to sleep at bedtime and also get them to sleep through the night.

ProudMama4ever

Asked by ProudMama4ever at 12:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• ok there a few things i say to do one do dif bed times in the hope one kids asleep one you put other to bed it works for me two sticker charts for the 2 kids the 2 year old may not get it but the 5 year old will , she can get a sticker for going to sleep and staying in her bed , link it to treats so she really wants to get them stickers also no tv, music or games at bed time in there room and no bright lights in the room if they need a light its a little night light if they do get out there bed put them right bed do not talk to them i

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 12:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Can you put the 2yo to bed 1st, let her fall asleep then have your 5yo go to bed. When your 5yo enters the room it will be quiet & dark. Could work or maybe not depends on if your 5yo wakes up the 2yo! Could you split them up in any way? You could put one child in the livingroom/den/baby's room for a while just until the newborn is better with sleeping.

I feel for ya though. My daughter didnt sleep through the night & I mean I woke up 15+ times every single night & she didnt nap for 26months. I got down right mean & awful from lack of sleep. I cant imagine doing it with 3kids though I only have one! I hope you figure something out & quick. Is your DH not able to help out through the night? You could tackle the newborn all night long & he could tackle the older ones at bedtime, just a thought.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• So, I know I will probably get some thumbs down on this one, but . . . . my kids are the same age. When we are going through that waking-through-the night cycles, I drag an extra bed into one room with the both of them. Thre three of us sleep together for a while, until they get through that cycle. They stay asleep because they know I am there, and I actually get to sleep. After I get my strength uo, we all go back to our own rooms. It works well until someone gets sick again.

Hugs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My hubby does help out with the older 2 but he is at a loss too and with both of us getting no sleep our patience is very very thin. They were in seperate rooms but we bought bunkbeds for them with hopes they could share a room. Tonight we are going to try putting our 2yr old down first and then our 5 yr old. Normally I would lay down with them but I have to take care of the baby and nurse her so its very hard to do that. UGH I hope this gets straightened out soon.
    ProudMama4ever

Comment by ProudMama4ever (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Nursing should only take a little while, once you're done nursing, put the baby down, (whether awake or asleep) and go in and read to them. My son refused to go to bed at a reasonable hour until I started a bedtime routine. The same thing at the same time every night. I may learn personally that it's easier said than done by the end of the month though, cause DS# 2 is due in three weeks. I wish you luck, Mama.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 12:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i think a sticker chart for the 5 year old will def help her understand what you want for her exsplan it fully with her you can print one of the net easly so it wont cost much and she will love getting to put the stickers on every morning if she gets any lol
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 12:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• yea putting down the baby is easier said then done lol. she likes to be held(bc shes a baby lol) and if shes screaming at the top of her lungs my older 2 are disrupted too. I think my 5 yr old will do fine once we figure out a routine that works...its finding a routine that works for the 2 yr old thats the challenging part lol Thanks mamas for all the great advice.
    ProudMama4ever

Comment by ProudMama4ever (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Proud Mama . . . can you move the rocking chair into the girl's room for bedtime. Then, the four of you go in at bedtime . .. whatever that is. The girls lay down, and you nurse and rock the baby until all three kids are asleep. Then, you can put baby down and have some hubby time.

Would something like that work?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• imaginationmama that would be glorious if it would work:)
    ProudMama4ever

Comment by ProudMama4ever (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2011