Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

DH walked out, What are my rights? Where can I find legal advice?

I live in Ohio

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (12)
  • Rights for what?

    Any law school near you (and Ohio has several) should have a free or discounted legal clinic.

    Answer by CraftingMama at 12:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • do i have an rights to my house? my dh bought this house b4 we got married. he left the house i live here. i don;t know if here can kick me out or what to do

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • Call a lawyer! they usually offer free consulations

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • Look for a program called legal aid, they help low income families with legal issues.

    Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • Are both your names on the deed/mortgage?

    Answer by CraftingMama at 12:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • call a lawyer you may be entitled to alimony if he just up and left like that.

    Answer by jspenny2705 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • What do u mean walked out? R u getting a divorce? The house is not considered community property because he had it before u got married. Unless your name is on the mortgage,it is his free and clear! Why did he leave?

    Answer by dancer at 12:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • I don't know about Ohio, but in Minnesota....there's a saying that goes "It takes one to buy, two to sell."

    Answer by Molly4630 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • If He's been paying off said house with marital money then you're likely going to be entitled to some of it. Get a legal separation agreement ASAP. Make sure it includes a freeze on assets so he can't dump anything or drain bank accounts. Of course you have rights. But the longer you wait the more likely it is that he may do something that jepordizes your ability to claim those rights.

    Answer by kayslay at 12:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

    go to this site.. it may help

    Answer by maiahlynn at 12:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships

Next question overall (General Parenting)
Need sleep....plz help