Slow cooker chili

It's almost 10:30 and I JUST realized I was going to make chili for dinner tonight - this is something I normally would've started around 9. And now I can't even find my damn chili recipe.

So, two questions:

One, is it too late for me to start it now?

Two, how do you make your chili? I know I have the ingredients I need... I'm just totally drawing a blank!

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Best Chili Ever – you can use any bean; 1 can = 1.5 cups home cooked
    2 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    4 cups vegetable broth
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (15-ounce) can white (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup frozen baby lima beans or regular lima beans or corn
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 can tomato paste
    2 tablespoons chili powder, or more to taste
    2 tablespoons dried Mexican oregano or regular oregano (or more to taste)
    2 teaspoons ground cumin (or more to taste)
    1 teaspoon ground coriander (or more to taste)
    1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1-2 Tbl masa, mixed with cold water
    1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    Salt to taste (I add this last)

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• could just brown your ground beef on the stove first, then put it in your crock pot with the rest of the ingredients
    malkaTZ

Answer by malkaTZ at 12:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I usually throw it all together then put it in my slow cooker. So just brown your meat and onions/peppers, throw in your tomatoes & sauce or juice and then add all your spices - once it's together throw it in your slow cooker. I do preheat mine for about 1/2 hour or so on high so the cooker is nice and hot when I put the soup in. GL
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I think if you cook the meat separately and then add everything to the crock pot to simmer you should be good to go.
    When I make chili I use cut up cooked stew meat (I don't like hamburger) and I add canned tomatoes, canned chili beans, a small jar of salsa,a small can of tomato sauce, some water and then chili seasonings/spices. Sometimes I will add black beans or rice to it as well to stretch it out a bit.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I do think it is to late. I make mine from ground pork and ground turkey. I dice onion, garlic, and a hot pper of your choice and saute them. Then brown the meat. Season everything with salt and pepper. Then I add canned diced tomatoes and a large can of tomaote juice. i dice 2 fresh tomatoes and throw them in there. Then add seasonings. i use chili powder,cumin and a pinch of yellow curry. i know that's not traditional but I love it. DH HATES curry buit can tell when I don't put this in there. Then i simmer until it's reduced about an inch. Then I add kidney beans and simmer for another 30 mins. i serve with crackers and cheese.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Brown the meat and onions first. Add all your ingredients to the pot and keep the pot on high for the first hour or two, then turn to low.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Brown everything and throw in the crockpot on high for a few hours
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Just cook it in a pot rather than slow cooker.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• If you don’t have a slowcooker, this can simmer on the stove; stir and add liquid as needed. In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients but the masa, shredded cheese, cilantro and salt. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. Five to 10 minutes before serving (depending on temperature of slow cooker) add masa and water mixture, cover and cook for about 15 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and other spices.
    Just before serving, top each serving with shredded cheese and cilantro.

• Good luck!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2011