Sick DD?

When putting DD to bed last night I noticed she had a cough (it sounded like tires screeching). I woke up at 2am because her whole body was burning. I didn't bother taking her temp, I just focused on getting her cooled off as soon as possible (clothes off, tylenol, fluids & a cool wash cloth). She cooled down & I put her back to bed by 3:30. She was warm this morning so I gave her tylenol & her cough is now sounding like she has mucous in her chest. Despite being sick she is acting normal with a little sleepiness clinginess. She has no fever now.

How should I go about treating this? Should I bring her to the doctor or does this sound treatable at home? She's 18 months btw.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd call the doc & ask over the phone with a little one like that. If she were 2 I'd say nah just keep doing what your doing but I always get nervous with under 2yo, not sure why.

Your doing all the right things or the things that I do with my child. They say you can switch from tylenol to motrin back & fourth, I think there may be a reason for that, someone let me know if there is? Make sure she rests plenty of fluids, keep an eye on her to see that she is acting normal & if she wont drink too much give her pedialite or gaterade.

Hope she feels better soon.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I'd call the doctor and just see what they say. You're doing everything right.
    Keep her cool and make sure she drinks lots of fluids.

The PP asked about switching tylenol and motrin. That's because you don't want to overdose on either one of them. Make sure you follow the directions on the box and ask the doctor about giving both.

We always used a humidifier in the kids' rooms when they were sick. It helps break up the mucus so they can sleep better.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 1:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Take her to the doctor!! You're doing the right things but she could have some type of bacterial infection (like bronchitis) that could require antibiotics!! Good luck to you and I hope your LO feels better soon!!
    MissLoveLyfe

Answer by MissLoveLyfe at 2:49 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• If her chest sound conjested, she might need a breating treatment. But other then that she should be able to treat at home. Good luck.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• call the doctor immediately and see what they say
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• call the doc and ask his opinion
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2011