Ugly incident yesterday at Six Flags

My DH, our 2 daughters, and I went to Six Flags yesterday (had a blast, but not the point of the post). When we were walking around, this lady and her 2 kids (I assume they were hers, but it's possible they weren't I guess) were walking near us. One of the kids was probably 9 0r 10 and the other was about 4 years old. The little guy had one of those big lollipops they sell at amusement parks, and he dropped it on the ground. Before he could even pick it up, the lady starts screaming loudly at him, saying "What's wrong you, you f*cking n**ger? F*cking pick that sh*t up", etc etc. (and yes, they were black).
My husband and I just stopped in our tracks, we were so shocked. The poor little kid is picking up the sucker, which had broken into a bunch of pieces, and she was just cussing him out, calling him names. My husband started to say something to her, and I kind of grabbed his arm because I was genuinely afraid of what she might do if he interfered. Mind you, she wasn't touching the kid, but it was a brutal verbal assault.
What would you have done? Would you have tried to intervene, or assume that she probably does this all the time and just kept out of it?

vicesix

Asked by vicesix at 12:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• She probably would have turned her wrath on your husband. I have dealt with people (mothers) like her. Not easy. And people like her are the first ones to accuse others of racism. She instills in her children that they are niggers, as something less than human. Then she blames it on the white folks. I still hear (occasionally) about how "you white folks" treated "us". I wasn't around back then. I didn't own any slaves, neither did my parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents. Her attitude sucks, but nothing you can do about it. Let it go.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I probably wouldn't have confronted her directly but I sure would have said something as I passed her but you are right - that could have turned into an UGLY situation and I don't blame you. Saying something wouldn't have changed the situation for that poor kid overall and COULD have caused a confrontation with your family, husband where she could have turned it around on you. Sadly, best to just walk away with a comment in passing to her.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I am sure she does it all the time, sadly enough. That is such a shame, and feel so bad for that little man =[ I probably would have said something, because that's just who I am,....although it was none of my business or anyone else's, she shouldn't be treating a CHILD like that.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I would have told park security.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i would've tried to 'soften' the blow by ignoring her rant and bending low to help the child, offering out loud to buy him another, or something different. sometimes a little kindness will kill the inner-bitch, even if its just for a moment, which is really all you could've done..like a pp said, this is most likely her normal behavior and any negativity added to this situation would've reflected bad onto the child once they were away from you. she would've been pissed, and taken it out on him.
    poor baby. too bad you can't just slap the crap outta parents like that.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• this is not a judgement...just an observation. If we make it very uncomfortable and socially unacceptable for people like this to act this way in public perhaps they will think about their actions when they are in private as well.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• that is SO wrong on so many levels!!!!! I feel bad for the kids, as she probably abuses them as well. wow, thats just insane.
    depending on my mood and the severity, I may have said something, but at the end of the day, those kids go home with her.
    malkaTZ

Answer by malkaTZ at 12:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I would have said something, but that's just how I am. I would have told her she is the root cause of all the racism that still exists today. White people will see her and think that she is a way of validating their already existing stereotypes for people of color when people like that make up a small percentage of the whole "race" as a whole.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 12:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I probably wouldnt have gotten in her face, but I might have looked for a security guard or employee to help.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 7:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would have found security and voices my concern for the child.

Answer by gemgem at 9:31 AM on Apr. 5, 2011