My ears vs. big earrings (or any earrings)

Alright, so I have a problem.

I like earrings, and big bold earrings are totally right on trend this year - I'm really dying to buy myself a couple pairs... I've seen some great floral ones I'd really love.

But, like I said, I have a problem.

My ears HATE earrings. I don't wear them often, because of this. Most of the time, with any pair I have (hoops, studs, or anything) I won't even be wearing them that long, and my ear lobes will start to turn red and they'll hurt. Sometimes, typically if I try to wear bigger earrings, they could hurt for a day or so after.

Why do you think they're doing this?
Does anyone else have this problem?
Is there any way I can solve it, and actually wear this season's big earrings?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I dip the posts of all my earrings in Neosporin, and then insert into the holes. Never have a problem. I am extremely sensitive to almost all earrings.
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 9:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• maybe your skin is allergic or sensitive to the metal the earrings are made of?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Have you ever tried coating the posts in clear nail polish? Not sure why, but I had a friend that used to do this and she said it helped her ears not get irritated.

Answer by missanc at 12:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Sometimes the flesh of the earlobe can either be to sensitive to chemicals and metals. Sometimes it can simply be the size and weight of the ear ring.
    Here is what I suggest. Any ear rings you have, make sure they are gold, silver, or surgical steel to help avoid allergic reactions or irritations. If there are ear rings you like that aren't a pure metal, coat them in strong nails acrylic clear finger nail polish. This usually lasts for a long time and will stop your skin from reacting to the fake metals.
    To help build strength you can first clean your ears with peroxide, dry, then rub them with a vitamin E solution and Lanolin Ointments. This will put a small barrier or protection between your ear and the jewelry while also allowing the skin to stretch and not become irritated by heavier jewelry.
    I hope I helped.
    blainesgirl

Answer by blainesgirl at 12:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Agree with previous two posters - my ears are sensitive also. Here si the funny part - I can usually wear earrings in the bottom no problem - SOME metals irritate me but not most, then I have second holes which I stopped wearing totally because pretty much anything I put in there gets irritated. Coating with polish from above does help but not for second hole. My body rejects piercings overall - nose, belly etc. You may just be one of those people. Look for the hypoallergenic earrings. good luck!
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 1:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I love my ears and the piercings in them. I have about 9 in each ear from top to bottom. On the other hand I am allergic to cheap jewelry so I wear all gold.
    Nickcole23

Answer by Nickcole23 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 5, 2011