How am I suppose to get anything done?!?!?!

I am seriously about to lose my mind! My house is a mess right now! Not dirty, just messy! It drives me insane, but I cannot get anything cleaned because (A.) I have a 6 month old who screams if I'm not within his reach and (B.) a 2 year old who loves to follow mommy and "help" which really only creates a bigger mess! I've tried working during naptime, but my baby doesn't sleep well, so that doesn't work, I do what I can in 5 minute spurts, but it's not enough time! I feel like I'm drowning in clutter & I can't get enough time to get rid of it all! I have no one to help me other than my husband, but by the time he gets home from work, he's so tired and I'm tired too after a long day at home with the kiddos! We literally eat dinner, he plays with our kids for a little bit, and we're in bed by 9pm. Any suggestions? How do you all manage a clean home and everything else that comes with being a stay at home mom?

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 12:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Have the kids help. May take longer. Sing songs to help. Mine eventually got bored and quit helping. Never grew out of the last part.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I only have one child so I'm sure its harder with two! But when my daughter was younger (3now) it was tough. One thing to do is every single time you leave a room grab something from it that dosent belong & return it to the rightful place. This helps a lot just every single time do this pick up that dirty dish, hairbrush, towel, whatever & return it! You'll be amazed at how a simple act like this will work! Also let the 2yo help on things he can help with. My daughter loves to do the wash so I let her load in the clothing, dump the detergent then we put it in the dryer & push the button. If you allow them to help on some things then maybe you can do the other things by yourself, maybe haha
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Sling for the baby. ONE area at a time... 15 minnutes at a time.

FlyLady.net is a GREAT resource. One of my favorite FlyLady tricks is the 27 fling boogie... hand your toddler a bag and tell him to put 27 items in it to be thrown away. Then in another bag, 27 items to be given away. And have him do it as a beat the clock challenge.

Don't worry about House Beautiful. Home Sweet Home isn't a magazine spread.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I feel the same way, I have twins they are seven months learning to crawl like to get into anything they can reach. I suggest clean once a day.
    ajmcheath

Answer by ajmcheath at 1:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I clean when they are sleeping
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 9:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Put the baby in a wrap and wear her while you clean. Give your two year old a "job" to do that will keep him happy while you work.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:33 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Please dont think of me as snotty! I feel bad for you and have ome sggestion! I get up at the same time every day, DS gets on th bus by 7 AM, then my 4 girls get up (5,4,1 and 4 monthes) and I cahnge diapers, let the dogs out and make breakfast, then te girls go and clan their room, whle I lay the baby in her swing, and usually my 1 yo is still eating, I then clean the downstairs from top to bottom in about 45-an hour, ( the key is making it a rule for the other children to be doing something at the same time everyday) like mine cleaning their room, then i move to the upstairs ( place baby in bouncy seat) and lay my 1 yo down for her first nap. ( around 9:45) I clean all of that and do the laundry. Then I finsih ot my day just keeping up to prevent mess! Good luck hunnie!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i used to carry my son around on me in my baby backpack. until he was to big for it. he's 17 months now and he likes to help me too but I indulge him for a few minutes and then do my work and try to ignore his grabs and attempts at helping. eventually he does something else! I'm going to have a baby soon so i don't' know how it will go then but as for you little one, try the back pack if you have one and just see if your two year old will move along when he has been indulged for a minute. Take a breath...you sound stressed out over this and in the greater scheme of things it doesn't really matter hon!
    Mrsorr

Answer by Mrsorr at 10:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• It is almost impossible to have an immaculate house and small children. Do the best you can, but to me enjoying your kids while they are young is more important.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 11:06 PM on Apr. 24, 2011