For the Roman Catholics...

Why do you pray to Mary? She was not sinless.

Why do you believe in purgatory and why do you pay the priest to pray people out of it? That sounds like a money making scheme to me.

Why do you believe the pope is infallible? Wasn't Jesus the only infallible man?

Why do you believe the wafer and wine are the ACTUAL flesh and blood of Jesus?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• 1. Mary is asked to intercede. Sort of like when you ask someone to put in a good word for you.

2. Indulgences. Doesn't work that way any more, per the instructiof Pope Paul VI.

3. The Pope is ONLY infallible when speaking Ex Cathedra, not at all times. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_infallibility

4. Because Christ SAID so at the Last Supper. That's the Catholic interpretation of the Gospel. Also the Anglican one.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:11 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Lets start with the Eucharist.
    THIS is why we believe in the real presence of God.
    “I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that a man may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh. The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, ‘How can this man give us his flesh to eat?' So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him” (John 6:48-56).
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 4:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Mary:
    Catholics believe that worship is due to God alone. Catholics do, however, venerate Mary. In other words, we honor our Blessed Mother with great reverence and devotion because she is the Mother of God.

Mary is the model of perfect love and obedience to Christ. God preserved Mary from sin, and she conceived our Lord by the power of the Holy Spirit, bringing Christ into our world. Catholics can’t help but honor the Blessed Virgin Mary, who is full of grace, the Mother of God and our Mother, for her “yes” to God that made the Incarnation possible. And without the Incarnation, we would not have salvation.

Mary is the most beautiful model of total submission to the will of God. Catholics do not view Mary as equal to Christ, but rather venerate Mary because of her relationship to Christ.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 4:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I can't take credit for all the wording in my answers. I got most of it from
    www.catholicscomehome.org
    under the "I am not a Catholic" section and the "answer your questions." They do a great job of answering with short precise wording and always in line with the teachings of the Church.
    Hope it helps with the confusion :)
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 4:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• First two - where do you get your information? We sometimes ask the saints in heaven to pray for us, just like we'd ask another brother or sister in Christ to pray for us. You might pray for me, even though you are not sinless - and it doesn't mean I am worshipping you. The Bible says that there is but one MEDIATOR between man and God - Jesus Christ. A mediator is not the same as an intercessor. We intercede for each other in prayer all the time. The Pope is the highest earthly authority in the Catholic Church. That way we all know what the teachings of our church are, instead of the 100,000+ denominations we might get with private interpretation.

I have never paid a priest to get me out of purgatory. WTHeck? Where did you come up with that one?

We believe the host and wine are transformed to the Body and Blood of Jesus because of John chapter 6. Read it sometime. Many of His followers left, and He repeated it.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• You see there's the problem in a nut shell Sola Scriptora. Scripture only. We as Catholics know that Sacred Tradition came first the Bible about three hundred years later. The only time when the Pope is considered infallible is when he is speaking on the matters of Doctrine the only time that happens is when he is sitting on the Chair of Peter. it doesn't happen very often. Most of his encyclicals are just that writings to help us understand our faith.  If we are not to ask our Brothers and sisters alive in Heaven to pray for us then we should not ask those here on Earth to pray for us, for according to your thinking we don't need intercession from anyone else only our own prayers for ourselves is enough. So we shouldn't even pray for anyone else, right?

daps

Answer by daps at 11:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• wow...

they interpret things one way and you interpret them another. There are MANY denominations or ways of thinking because of that very thing

You have to go with what works and makes sense to you :)

*as for answering the actual questions- I don't know, as I have never even been in a Catholic church
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• http://www.catholic.com/library/Praying_to_the_Saints.asp

maybe some of your questions can be answered there

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Oy! Anonymous. If you had the ovaries to ask this question as your real self, I'd answer

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Mary was not without sin but was chosen by God to be the mother of Jesus. She is prayed to to intercede on our behalfs for things, like the above poster stated. Initially when the papacy was set up the Pope was the person to be have basically a direct line to God. He was for all intents and purposes acting on behalf of God here in Earth. Whether you believe in a money wasting scheme is up to you, in the end its all a matter of faith and what you choose or not choose to believe in. I am a Catholic, was born and raised one, left the church for a time and studied other faiths, and came back to the church. We all have things we choose to believe in, and to me this is what works for me.
    >>>>
    Mary was/is without sin. She is the Immaculate Conception
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2011