Military Members/Wives

DH is considering joining AF, and my question is, which is better: Living on base, or off base?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Totally depends. In 29 Palms in the desert, it was best to live on base. Here in SC, the base houses were a joke in my opinion and we rent out in town. You just have to see or join forums and ask there what their preference is.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• depends on where you get stationed and how long the wait is. some on base housing is AWESOME and some is trashy and gross. they show you 2 or 3 houses that you can pick from.. if you dont like any you can wait or just live off base.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I lived off base and we loved it. No military inspection, no regulations for the lawn (we didn't have a lawn). The only downside is that you don't get to know other people in the military that well. I felt so alone when my husband went off to Iraq. So if you're in a situation like that, where your husband might be deployed, I'd live on post, but we still liked living off-post.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I agree with PP, depends on where you get stationed. Sometimes living off base means you have to live in really bad neighborhoods because the military does not keep up with how expensive an area is. Other times, like maybe a smaller town, you could get a nice place off base. On base is usually more handy though, most bases pretty much have everything you need
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Depends..... We have been in the AF for nearly 20 years now and this is our first on base house. Because of dh's position, we are deemed mission essential and required by the group/wing commander to live on base. I prefer to live off of the economy. More freedom, more choices, etc... But to each their own.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We had the best of both worlds. We lived off base but still in government housing. It was great. But as others have said, it really depends on where you are stationed at as too which one is better. However, with being a first time military wife, you might want to consider living on base so that you can meet other women and learn the ropes of the military life.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2011