If labels weren't such a big deal, would you actually pay attention to what a candidate says in running for office?

I'm not gonna be hypocritical and say I listen to every single candidate because honestly, if it's the opposing candidate I just hear bullshit. Which is a bad thing because what if the opposing candidate has something better to offer than my favorite candidate? Shouldn't we pay attention to all sides? I see a lot of biased opinions about Obama and whatever Republican. I see it alot on Bill Maher and numerous talk shows that hate Republicans and definitely see it on Fox News. So wouldn't it be nice if no one registered as Dem or Republican and just got their point acrossed without waving their freak flag?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Since Im neither Democrate or Republican, I do listen to both sides
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I am able to use my critical thinking skills even if I am for one party over another. I listen to what people say, but it takes more then words to run a country.

Answer by gemgem at 1:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I listen to "all" debates but in the end it comes down to "my" best interest... It's rare when my values align with the opposing party.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i am not a political person but i am a christian so therefore I vote for the candidate who stands on biblical principal not whether they are republican or democrate. but unfortunatley God gave us freedom of choice and sometimes the canidate and the people who vote for them make the wrong choices which puts the wrong person in office.
    Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 1:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• IMO~In the beginning, it shouldn't be so-much about listening to the candidate. One should analyze their professional history/actions/votes/etc... Then assuring the candidates actions and words line up to their 'promises' is the next step. As far as Federal elections~My priorities are fiscally conservative, experienced business/military, and a proven track record of responsibility.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• In a perfect world. I listened to Obamas speeches until my head almost exploded when he was running. Till it got so obvious he was relishing his new found celebrity instead of running a campaign. A little bit of research and reading his book sewed up my feelings. After the last 2 yrs there is no point in even attempting to give him the benefit of the doubt. Face it. Some people are Conservative, some are Liberal and some are just in between but it doesn't mean they can't listen to debates and do their own research. If they don't, they don't and that's just how it is. When you have the media blatantly showing their hand I think it is pointless to expect everyone to "do it the way it should be done". People, for the most part will vote the way they feel and they usually feel pretty sure about most hard issues.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Labels have no effect on my voting choices.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I do not vote for someone simply because they are a democrat and I am a registered democrat. I have voted for republicans. I vote for who I believe is the best person for the job.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Labels have little to do with my voting choices. Initally I listen to all candidates, but you don't have to listen long before all you hear is "party" rhetoric.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• IMO~In the beginning, it shouldn't be so-much about listening to the candidate. One should analyze their professional history/actions/votes/etc...   Answer by grlygrlz2

^^^THIS^^^

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011