Is it ok to drink Diet soda while pregnant?

spagirl0426

Asked by spagirl0426 at 1:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't and didn't.. Diet soda is just bad for you all around.. especially the dark sodas ( As I sit here just finishing my Diet Pepsi )
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Its not ok to drink it anytime in my opinion. AMA study's have linked the fake sugar to causing MS in people who have NO genetic link to it in their family's. They also think it causes fibromialgia. Why take the chance with the baby? Diet soda is just colored, carbonated, artificially flavored and colored chemically sweetened water.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Oh it's fine, be concerned with drugs, alcohol,and smoking thats the things that are problems. I drank ice tea and coke all through both my pregnancies and both my boys were perfect. Don't worry yourself over diet soda. Good luck!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My doctor said everything in moderation. Personally it didnt taste good to me though when I was pregnant. I switched to full flavor and drank alot less then I would have if I had drank diet.

Answer by gemgem at 1:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I've seen people do it. Don't really know much about it's affects. Asparatame has been known to develop cancer in lab rats, so I'd rather not while pregnant..lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Yeah I didn't think it was a good idea. I've had water all day. There is a girl at my work drinking diet soda and she is pregnant. I didn't think that was a good idea. She said its ok and she's having another one. She said she had it with her other pregnancies. I was like ok. WHATEVER!
    spagirl0426

Comment by spagirl0426 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't do it. Stick to water or milk if you can.
    All soda has a lot of salt in it, which can raise your blood pressure, a dangerous thing when you are pregnant. Some sweeteners in diet soda have been linked to cancer. Why expose your baby to something you are not 100% sure is good for him/her?

You and your baby need all the good nutrition you can get, stay away from artificial stuff as much as you can. Good luck!
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 1:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• No. Stick to water, milk and juice. Once or twice won't hurt.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Ok thanks ladies. =0)
    spagirl0426

Comment by spagirl0426 (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Aspartame has been linked to cancer, parkinsons, ulcers and all sorts of stuff. I drink Diet Rite because it is now made with Splenda- which your body recognized as a natural source of one of the sugars (can't remember which one). But my OB and midwives said it was the best option out there if I still needed my caffeine fix every now and then (I have migraines and it helps kick them and prevent them).
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2011