Dave and busters outing......vent(sorry its kinda long) and a question

i went to dave and busters with my kids yesterday to eat lunch play a couple games and walk around the mall

anyway we were walking around the arcade and we see this group of people watching these 2 young people (i say young but they were about 20 i would say) playing time crisis 4 (shooting game) so me and my kids stand in the back of the group next to this women and her friend and i over hear their conversation
"i bet they fight all the time.....he probably hits her to.....and look shes pregnant! i feel bad for that baby in there having to hear this crap all day long"
her friend just looks at her, and then the boy playing the game "fails the mission" and walks over to the little table next to the girl playing the game
and then the lady again says something rude......"i bet shes more violent look how good she is at that game...i hope that baby shes having gets taken away" then after that the girl loses the game and the group all scatters looking for something else to do, my kids wanted to play the horse game right next to where the shooting game is,and im not joking the lady walks up to these kids looks at them and says "i hope that kid gets taken away from you two, your both violent, how can you be good parents when you play games like this?"
i could tell the boy was pissed off but he didnt say anything.....the girl did "im sorry i didnt know video games dictate what kind of parent a person is going to be" then the girls dad walks up and they walk out to the mall, i actually caught them leaving the mall and i told her that she was brave to stand up to someone like that and we talked for a couple minutes, i found out that she was 18 turning 19 in september, a month after their baby is due, they were there for her boyfriends 20th birthday and her dad brought them to lunch, they were a sweet couple.
i just feel like i should have done something when i heard the lady say something the first time but since i had my kids with me i was afraid to confront anyone....

my point behind this whole story was to ask a question lol
do you think the video games a person plays dictates how good of a parent a person is going to be? why or why not

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No, I don't think it does. I think if you allow yourself to get consumed by them, that is when it affects your parenting skills and the type of parent you are. I enjoy playing video games (not very often, but occasionally) and they vary in the types (from Lego Harry Potter to Mortal Kombat vs. DC comics), but we do it all in good fun as a family.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 2:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• No I dont think it has anything to do with how you will parent your kids.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Nope. You teach your children what is right wrong and that there are places and times for differnt things. You teach them love and respect...or you teach them none of that
    games have nothing to do with it

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• No.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• No. and thank you for saying something to the girl. She probably needed that. Being a young mother is hard and too many people choose to judge. Go momma! (I probably would have said "would you just shut up?" to the woman, thats just me.)
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• For a person over the age of 18 I believe it is perfectly acceptable to play mature or adult rated games that have violence or shooting. I don't believe playing these types of video games is necessarily a good indicator of parenting ability or can predict the temperament of the parent.

On the other hand, allowing children to play games that are rated above their age group or allowing them to observe violent games or games that are rated over their age is what is irresponsible parenting, in my opinion.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Nope, it's just hand eye coordination. Which I really lack, lol.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 2:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Was this by chance at Desert Ridge in Phoenix? How sad that people would be so judge mental!
    mom2twingirl797

Answer by mom2twingirl797 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• No, That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard! My s/o is a young, father who plays war games, shooting games, boxing games and mission games, Does that make him a bad father? No!! He is actually one of the best father's I've ever seen!! And I'm not just saying that because he is the father of my child. He has a son from a previous relationship and I picked up on how great of a father he is very early on in our relationship. I hate judgmental people, especially when their judgements make no sense!!
    MissLoveLyfe

Answer by MissLoveLyfe at 2:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Ugh, I hate people who judge like that. No, I don't think that games dictate what kind of person you are. I don't believe in letting video games babysit my kids & not teaching them right from wrong, though, like some do. Good for you to say something to the girl. I was pregnant and married at 18 years old and we faced a lot of comments & dirty looks back then.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2011