Possible health issues?

What are the possible heath issues at birth for a child whose mother took strong drugs in the first few weeks of her pregnancy. Before you shout at me, it's not me, I'm taking on my SIL's baby and I'm worried that she may, I'll be asking the doctor at her next appointment as well. She appears to be developing fine but are there things they would not be able to detect? Thank you so much.

haleykarson

Asked by haleykarson at 4:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Heroin is actually not very bad for the developing fetus, it is probably the "best" illegal drug to be exposed to in utero (if there is one...). Alcohol is by far the worst, most significant damage. There may be slightly higher risk for things like ADHD, but I would try to relax and enjoy her :-)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• what drugs and when? i know cocaine in the 5th to 8th weeks can cause heart damage along with brain damage that may not be present at birth. i know heroin can damage the CNS causing low oxygen levels and inability to fight off infection....hope that helps
    Anonymous

• i think if there were going to be really bad adverse effects they would have noticed them already. Mainly youre normally worried about the baby developing physically and she obviously did. if shes growing great, and hitting milestones at a relatively normal time, then it seems that there is no brain damage either. babies are tough, they can handle alot more then what people think, and it sounds like shes a tough cookie and was able to pull through it!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 5:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Thank you anon, and it was heroin mainly I think.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 5:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2008