Adding a bit of cereal into the bottle to help the baby sleep all night: yay or neigh?

So i had a question, my mom says that adding some baby cereal (rice, or something simple like that) will help the baby sleep all night. Is this safe for a 9 week old baby? I know the pediatricians say no real food till 6 mos. But he's bottle fed to begin with. Does this make a difference? Wondering because i need to sleep eventually, i'm turning into a homicidal zombie...

newbabyboymomma

Asked by newbabyboymomma at 2:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he might be full longer but there is no telling what it will or wont do to his sleeping
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• No, unless it is recommended by the doctor...and even then, I would do more research on it myself.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• yes i put it in my sons when he was little and it helped him sleep tremendously it wont hurt the child just help you
    damionsmommy2

Answer by damionsmommy2 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• NO!!! If you are breastfeeding that is all your baby needs right now. If you are concerned with his sleep habits read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". Change his night sleep cycle through behavior and schedule changes not by giving him something he doesn't need.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• and gain more weight
    damionsmommy2

Answer by damionsmommy2 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• As moms, we ALL got no sleep in the early days...it's just to be expected. See if your husband can get up at night on occassion to help or try to nap when baby naps to help catch up on sleep. I really wouldn't add cereal to his bottle for that reason alone.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:33 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i no would do give it to him from experience with my daughter i gave it to her and made her use have more bowel movements than usual and ended in a bad rash...so NO i wouldnt...but i mean if you want to try it and see how he reacts then =)
    anayasmommy21

Answer by anayasmommy21 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• NEVER! Babies need nutrition every few hours at that age. Adding cereal to their bottles is like forcing them to over eat and depriving them nutrition. Rice cereal is empty calories, no vitamins, no anything good.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• well, he's being bottle fed formula. only formula, wasn't able to breastfeed. My grandmother was saying she had to do that with my mom.
    newbabyboymomma

Comment by newbabyboymomma (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• my son also had acid reflux real bad too which is great to put cereal in bottle real young
    damionsmommy2

Answer by damionsmommy2 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011