I have to go anon for this...

We went on a family vacation and I had my dd (9) and her 8 cousins with us(their parents were with them). We were hiking in the smokey mts. and taking lots of pictures. We came across and old cemetery in the woods. The kids ran up the hill and and were yelling for us to come up and see the cemetery. When we got up the hill a few of the kids were laying on the grave posed and saying to take their pic. They thought the old tombstones were cool. I snapped a pic of my dd and told her to get up and be respectful in the cemetery. An older lady walks by and looks are our group with disgust and says loudly, "Some people have no respect!!!" and stormed off. I mean really the kids weren't that bad they just wanted a pic of them laying in front of a cool old headstone. Then we told them to walk around the graves..so would you have taken the pic of your kid? The lady acted like we were heathens.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Not a fan of gravesite pictures.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I wouldnt have allowed my kids to do that.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Eh I personally wouldnt have taken the pic of my child on the grave no but that is fine that you did in my opinion b/c you did tell them to stop right after. That women was rude though, ignore people like that. I would have taken a pic of the stone though but just not with my child on top of the grave (next to it yes not over the body ya know). Your fine.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Yes I would have and we have as a matter of fact. We have a pet name for ourselves as a couple (it is really silly) and we were visiting my Dad's grave and found a couple with this last name - we thought it was so funny we took a pic of ourselves next to it. We were respectful and it was just us. People get uptight about this kind of stuff in my opinion.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I think cemeteries are a giant waste of good land. I would have taken the pics for sure.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i would have allowed that either i understand its just a pic...but disrepectful those people are resting..
    anayasmommy21

Answer by anayasmommy21 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I have to agree that it was disrespectful. I wouldn't allow my kids to do that.
    justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I think it just happened so suddenly and the lady was so huffy about it that I didnt know what to think. The kids were excited to have found it up on the mountain and they had been taking a pic in front of everything else they had found that day so to them it was no different. To us it was kinda odd but a little funny since they are kids and had no clue. they just laid right down on their side and posed in front of the headstone. I felt bad we upset that lady but on the other hand I didnt think it was that big of a deal. They werent being verbally ugly or tearing up anything they just wanted pic...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Everyone is different . . . but, when I am at a funeral, and my toddler is playing the "jumping" game on the grave markers . . . I do pick them up and not allow them to do that. It doesn't bother me, but I know some people are really touchy about that.

Does anyone else know that toddler grave-site jumping thing? It is so embarrassing, but those kids see the stones, and want to play hopscotch . . . they have no idea what the plave is or why those pretty stones are everywhere . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• If you allowed your kids to do that to my loved one's grave, simply for your amusement, I would have been really pissed.

Imagination, there is a difference between a bored toddler and posing on graves lying down and snapping a few pics for fun!

Teach your kids to have respect for those who have passed on.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2011