Anyone ever ride a train long distance?

If you did when you went to the Cafe was the food included in the tickets or do you have to pay extra for it? I never have ridden a train before and I want to know how much I need to save up for food or not. We are riding on a train for 2 days.

dragonqueen

Asked by dragonqueen at 2:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Travel

• I've logged thousands of miles in overseas trains, but none in the USA.

On all trains the food was extra, and many people brought bags of fruit and snacks with them. Generally there was a food cart that would roll up the aisle at meal times, serving usually cheap and edible food. Most folks don't leave their seats unless they take their packs with them, as theft is a problem in many countries.

Have fun!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I once rode a train to Florida. It was 24 hours. It was LONG!!!!!! The food was extra. good luck for 2 days!!!!!!!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Went to Santa Cruz from Sacramento. I brought a sandwich and some fruit for that ride! You can bring your food on the train if you want to....No Big Deal. It can get expensive i will say. We did'nt eat much that time because we were going to be in Santa Cruz for a couple days and wanted to spend most of the money. Food is not included with Tickets!!! We went on Amtrak, if that helps any. Be safe and have a great trip!
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 5:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We have taken the Auto-Train from DC to Florida. It's the one where your car goes along too. The meals were INCLUDED --dinner and breakfast in the dining car. But we rented a family compartment, so I don't know about the regular coach seats. I would CHECK; don't guess.
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 11:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I rode the train from Virginia to New york. I was a 8 hours ride, very comfortable. I paid $115 around ticket. I took my own snacks, even though I new i could of bought in the train, i choose not too. But you can also by food during the stops.
    rainha

Answer by rainha at 2:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Went on a train through the Swiss alps - two thumbs up!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I taken several long distance train trips. The dining car was nice but not included in the ticket price. There was also a snack bar.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 2:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2011