Does anyone have a breastfed baby that actually slept through the night?

If so, when did they start?

I'm just curious because my 2nd child I breastfed and she NEVER slept through the night, in fact she still wakes up at times (almost 22 months old). I'm currently breastfeeding my newborn, he's only 3 weeks old so I don't expect him to sleep through the night yet, but I just want to know if any other moms out there have had any luck getting their baby to sleep through the night.

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 3:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter has recently started sleeping a lot better and she is exclusively breast fed and 5 month old. Here is what worked for me.
    1 I got her into somewhat of a routine. After dinner we have some quiet time and or a bath, around 8 I feed her and put her down. At 10 or 11 when I go to bed I get her out of her crib and feed her again and she falls right back asleep.
    2 I have a fan for white noise in her room
    3 I play 10 minutes of soothing music for her every time I put her in her crib so she associated it with sleeping.
    4 *Important* When I notice she is starting to get sleepy I take her and put her in her crib and let her try to fall asleep on her own. It took a while, but she is now almost always going down for her naps by herself.I read that learning to fall asleep on their own helps infants learn to sleep for longer stretches.

Your little one is still very young, so this won't work yet, but try it around 3 or 4 months
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 6:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Yes, my daughters both started sleeping for approximately 8 hour stretches around 4 to 5 months of age. Both were breastfed. I filled 'em up on boobie juice just before bedtime.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• No, but my formula fed baby didn't sleep through the night until he turned one.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I nursed my DD until she was about 8 months and she did not sleep thru the night. But she did gradually sleep longer and nurse less at night the older she got. She started sleeping thru the night at about 12 months, she had been on formula and even some solids prior to that so I don't think either really made a difference.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:11 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I breastfed all 5 of mine and they all slept through at least 8 hours by 2 months and 11-12 hours/night at 6 months.

Answer by missanc at 3:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• breast milk is very light in consistency,there fore gets digested very quickly, i have 3 dds, and have been thru the same situation as yrs,try switching to formula milk after afew weeks for night time only!
    doctormom2011

Answer by doctormom2011 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2011