Just curious: What are the advantages of extended rear-facing?

I've seen a lot about extended rear-facing lately, so I was just wondering what the advantages are?

I'm not looking for any debate here, I'm just asking out of curiosity.

My son is three and forward-facing (when he's with my parents or his dad). I don't have my license (therefore no car) and I don't even own a carseat myself.

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I personally think extending it is dumb. Past the age of one I haven't seen a study done that says it improves survival in an accident. My DDs legs were so long, at 9 mo she was able to rock her seat in the car. NOT safe. With a good well fitted 5 point harness carseat, they are fine.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• When a child is involved in a car accident, if the child is rear facing, then the child is just pushed father inside the carseat. If the child is facing forward, then their entire body is flung forward which can break their neck, legs, back...I know some will say, what about the children who have long legs, and facing backwards. I personally would rather if there were some injury done to my child during an auto accident, for his legs to be the ones to tak ethe brunt of the force, verses his neck.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 3:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• **Further
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 3:06 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Both of my chilren 2 and 4 are forward facing.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 3:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Until a child is 1 year old or 30 pounds, their neck is not strong enough to endure the forceful jerk forward of a car accident. I don't know about lengthening the time facing back. Its awful hard to get my little guy out of the car when he is back facing, but if it helps keep him safe in an accident, I don't care how hard it is to get him out :) P.S. I have little 2 door car, am 5 mos. pregnant, and my son and his seat together weigh over 35 pounds :) It's not easy now, I can't imagine when I'm 9 mos. pregnant and he weighs 45 pounds :)
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 3:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Once a child is over a certain weight nad height it is no longer necessary to have them rear facing. The middle back seat is the safest and its safest to keep them in a 5 point harness as long as possible! I know people that have children that are 7 years old and there still in 5 point harness car seats...why? because its safe!
    TuckyGirl

Answer by TuckyGirl at 3:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I'm talking about extended-rear-facing, past the age of 1 or 2 or beyond! I don't get it myself... I'm sure my three year old would HATE staring at nothing... but I'm seeing more and more friends of mine talking about it.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• In young children, the spine is not completely fused to the head. When involved in a collision, a FF child's head will often be flung forward, something that would cause whiplash in an adult, but can often result in internal decapitation in small children. When that same child is RF, the seat essentially cradles the child, protecting the head and neck. This is just a basic, and the biggest reason I ERF. There are other advantages, I'm sure, but I didn't want this to get crazy lengthy.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Audrice, the booster recommendation has an age as well as weight and height, so no, your neighbor would NOT need a booster. Just FYI :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Yes, I understand that. However I had understood that many were pushing for age limits to be deleted as height and weight were the only measure that "counted".
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011