An ounce of truth in every joke?

I found this joke..

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!"

He said, "Nobody loves me."

I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes."

I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"

He said, "A Christian."

I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?"

He said, "Protestant."

I said, "Me, too! What franchise?"

He said, "Baptist."

I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Baptist."

I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist."

I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region."

I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."

I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

Are there divides amongst Christians, making this joke somewhat honest? Or would you say that this is an exaggeration and no such divide occurs?
If there is a divide, does it cause some Christians to believe other Christian denominations won't go to heaven, or that they're praying to the wrong Jesus? On what grounds, does each denomination consider themselves more correct?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Or would you say that this is an exaggeration and no such divide occurs?

Why only these two choices- how about - yes a divide occurs and it is greatly exaggerated in this joke- which I guess is the point of a joke to make a point through exaggeration-

This is a also a political joke and I have also heard it comparing universities and coaching eras-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I've never heard it get further than 'which franchise', but there are a number of denominations (particularly fundamentalists) that do teach their way of interpreting the bible is the only correct way.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• While I don't think many people would go so far as to push someone off a bridge due to the differences, I'm sure there is a grain of truth to the joke--else why are there so many different denominations/sects? It's because there are so many different interpretations of the Bible, how it is to be followed, whether the bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Jesus or whether they just represent the sacrifice, etc.  If people didn't believe different things, and if those differences weren't important, they wouldn't need so many divisions within the Christian faith--and the same goes for other faiths that have different sects under a general umbrella.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Are there divides amongst Christians, making this joke somewhat honest? Or would you say that this is an exaggeration and no such divide occurs? [clarity]

Have you seen/heard about Ireland? Yes, such divides do exist amongst Christians. 

Irish Catholic girl grows up and becomes a prositute. Brings lots of money home to her mum and dad. Breaks the news that she is a prostitue. Dad has a fit and calls her all kinds of names. She says fine and that she would just take everything back. He says, "Wait, what did you say you were?"

"A PROSTITUTE."

"OHHH! Thank God! I thought you said PROTESTANT!!" 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I do believe there are great divides, but I don't believe they are to that extreme, in MOST cases. Of course, if you ask the Westboro Baptist Church over there in Maryland, they'll tell you anyone who doesn't go to their church and believe in THEIR teachings that God hates them and they'll go to hell.

I think too many people get caught up in the rules and traditions of their demonination, and lose focus on Jesus and the Bible. I know MANY Christians who haven't picked up a Bible in years, if ever.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Emo Phillips. He's been telling it for 30 years. As with all humor, it has an element of truth.  Funny how it gets changes as it gets ripped off.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• A joke like this applies to far more than just Christianity. It hints at the truth about human nature, and really has nothing to do with religion.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Most jokes do have an element of truth in them. I just remembered that someone posted this denominational joke a while back.

Baptists are well known for having differences and splitting off into other churches, but other denominations do it all the time too. My husband's parents and his grandparents on his mother's side are (were) both Southern Baptists from different denominations and parts of the country, and they had ALL KINDS of disagreements and differences about Christianity.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Well that's why jokes are funny, they are absure situations that are so over-exaggurated as to be unrecognisable.

If you don't htink things ike this happen, then go and look at the work outside america and look at Northern Irland. Thousands upon thousands of people killed by their neighbours because they were a different denomination.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:20 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes,there is plenty of division in most all religions(not just Christianity). That's exactly why I am non-denominational.
    As for jokes,I've always believed the old saying,"there's a lot of truth said in jest".
    MistyBlueMom

Answer by MistyBlueMom at 7:37 AM on Apr. 5, 2011