Learning to be content with...

my dh used to make 60k a year working 60+ hours a week as a manager. he also had no weekends off.

we decided to change our life and he took a job making 1700 a month and we got rid of all our payments (used cars, rent house, no credit cards) he has weekends off and we can actually spend time together

its such a big change with the money thing. we do not qualify for a house, our bills are about 1500 a month so that leaves 200 in fun money a month which is fine but hard to get used to.

also, im a stay at home momma to 2 under 3

any advice

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• Y did he leave a good paying job? U need to think about the future!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• You made a conscious decision to reduce the income. Sounds like a bit of buyer's remorse is going here.

Fun money really cannot be part of the consideration. You can have fun with NO money; we do it all the time. A better thing to consider is whether the two of you will be able to put money by for your kids' future, and for your own.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• It sound like you guys can breathe slot easier I would not change what you guys did for no amount of money. Yes the money was good but he was never home now the kids have lots of memories that dad was home all of the time sometimes it's worth it... Yeah I'm with you girl. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Are you happier now that he is home more often with the family? Life is a constant choice..
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Find a way to make $ on the side while at home. My sister has 2 kids & a stay at home mom. She bakes cakes & sells them.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 3:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Just keep your eye on the goal. If the goal was to have more family time, then you are reaching it.

After I had my first, my husabnd and I decided that I would quit my job, so that our children could be raised by me instead of daycare. That was our goal, and I was actually making more than my husband, at the time, so ALOT changed.

We found ways to cut down our bills, and we have been able to make it . . . barely, but we are. I am so grateful that I am able to be here with my kids, because the time is so fleeting.

When they get older, our goal changes, and I will work my butt off for retirement and college savings.

Just be sure to revisit your plans and goals . . it will all work out.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Are you saving money for your retirement? And for your children's college education?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2011