Has anyone used any herbal remedies for depression?

Im just wondering if anyone has had sucess in using a herbal remedy for depression and had it actually work? My husband is agiant anti_depression meds so need an alternative.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Health

• St Johns works for my DH
    You can also try something called Same' ( sounds like Sam-E )
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Here are some foods that will help with your depression: Bread, celery, lychee, parsnip, pumpkin, squash, and gourd. :)
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 3:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• 5-HTP in vitamin section @ Wal-Mart. I'd stay away from St.John's Wart. CALM is a flavored powder you put in hot water that helps too. Look online.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 3:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• try camomile tea,twice aday,
    doctormom2011

Answer by doctormom2011 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I've heard that (I don't live in one so not sure) in the states w/ medical marijuana laws dr's are prescribing marijuana for depression.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

•  I'm not sure if you've ever heard of them, but I used Herbalife products for depression. It's true, good nutrition helps with depression and an overall feeling of well being. But the targeted products for depression are Herbalifeline which have omega 3's and are good for the brain and can improve your mood. Dong quai is one of my favorites. It helps with anxiety which is often associated with depression.(you really do feel like nothing in the world can bother you) Nutri-9 also helps because it helps healthy brain activity. Relax Now is another one. I think the name speaks for itself! These are all healthy products that contain fruits, veggies and herbal aloe extract. I'm a personal health and wellness coach so if you want more information about them, I will be glad to let you know!!
    Glendyra

Answer by Glendyra at 2:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Vitamin B complex with C(for absorbtion) is good for energy and mood. St. Johns wort is also helpful with mild depression.
    thecoffeefairy

Answer by thecoffeefairy at 3:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I have heard good things of 5-HTP also. St Johns Wort is well known too, BUT you have to be careful because it interacts with all sorts of other drugs.

Notice I said "other" drugs. Just because it's an herb doesn't mean it's not a drug. It may have a long folk history, so there is some data, but usually less scientific analysis and info about what other drugs they interact with and their side effects (we know about St Johns Wort because it's used as a drug in Europe). After all, they used mercury comomnly for constipation up till recently, so folk/natural is not always better or safer.

But, if that is what he will try, it's something.

Other things I have tried or heard good things about: sunlight lamps (especially for seasonal depression), avocado/fish/flax seeds, regular exercise, sunlight/getting out, pursuing a hobby...
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 4:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i used st johns wort when i was dealing with my first separation/divorce. i too suggest lots of research and inform yourself about what each herb interacts with. to avoid problems. good luck
    RoseWall

Answer by RoseWall at 10:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• my cousin sells herbalife. They are herbal supplements and protein shakes and what not. They do have ones that are supposed to combat depression. Some for migraines. She was so messed up at one point she was walking with a cane at 30...she now is pain free and healthier than she's ever been. Not sure if you want to go that route but you can always try it.
    chnkychic76

Answer by chnkychic76 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2011