How do you prepare a 4 year old for getting a shot at his yearly check-up?

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Blues Clues "Blue goes to the doctor"
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 3:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• For one don't tell them they'll be getting a shot until the nurse leaves to go get it. Tell them it makes bad germs stay away from them.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Be honest, but try not to scare him. I always bring a lollipop for after they seem to forget the pain when they get a special treat.
    damselphish

Answer by damselphish at 3:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• When our four year old had to get his, we didn't tell him about it. We just took him to the doctor. Just becuse we knew that he would be uneasy about it. When it came time for the shot, he fought every bit of it, but was fine shortly after.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 3:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i just told my dd she would have to get a shot or two and it would feel like a pinch...that was all she wanted to know and was fine with it, boy was she mad after her shots though....your baby will be fine, mine was but still kinda freaks out about going to the doctor GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Give your child a little Tylenol about a half hour before the appointment. This way the medicine will already be kicking in by the time the shot is over.

I wouldn't tell her about the shot before the appt. She'd just get worked up about it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't say anything. The "trauma" is often in the knowing about it and waiting for it to happen, when it actually is over in a moment.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I guess i was different i always told mine.I would prepare them before we went and i explained why they had to have a shot and i would be there with them ,and it worked out well.My kids did dread it but understood the "why" of it all.Yes it was tense but knowing was better than not.I had a ll 3 of mine tell me they were glad i did this because it helped knowing ahead.I started telling them when they were 3.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 3:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I am glad I am not the only one who tells my child in advance! My 4 year old knows he will be getting a shot, as I wanted him to be prepared for it and not have it sprung upon him. So far he seems okay about it because he knows he will get a sucker when he is done! I'm just worried he's going to start panicking once the appointment approaches (Wednesday afternoon).
    MichaelsMom330

Comment by MichaelsMom330 (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Call me sneaky, but I didn't tell them. We had the check up then the nursr came in acted like she had to look at their arm. It was done before they ever knew it. My boys didn't even cry, but my adhd dd was mad and cried.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2011